Fast Report VCL 6 licence "subscription"

LurkingKiwiLurkingKiwi Wellington, New Zealand

I see that VCL6 now requires purchasing annual maintenance to continue receiving minor updates, as well as the full price repurchase when V7 comes out.

When did this start - I've never heard of it before?

Comments

• LurkingKiwiLurkingKiwi Wellington, New Zealand
    edited March 2021

That link was dead yesterday, and isn't useful today. However, I have looked at the news items directly.

Please confirm, as well as the 30% per annum subscription for bug fixes, there will be an 80% charge (based on a 20% upgrade discount) whenever you decide to increase the major version number?

• Please confirm, as well as the 30% per annum subscription for bug fixes, there will be an 80% charge (based on a 20% upgrade discount) whenever you decide to increase the major version number?

No, 30% per annum subscription for bug fixes and new features only

That link was dead yesterday, and isn't useful today. However, I have looked at the news items directly.

Use https://www.fast-report.com/en/news/show/release-fastreport-vcl-2021/

• LurkingKiwiLurkingKiwi Wellington, New Zealand

Well, the current licence on the web site says that for 1 year I get updates:

"provided that the Updates shall not include a new subsequent releases of the Software bearing a new first numeral such as 7.0 or 8.0 (“New Releases”)"

• PolomintPolomint Australia

I am with you 100% LK!

I fully appreciate the economics of delivering software like FastReport. It is not like "consumer Apps", and so I accept that the Fast In Rush Team needs to get the "cash flow" right. I also appreciate that when software gets to a mature state, new releases have much smaller increments of new "must have" features. And also Vcl is possibly nearing its "end of life" and so is a less attractive platform for development.

However, I've just paid the "subscription" to go from Vcl 6 Enterprise to Vcl Enterprise 2021, having paid to go from Professional to Enterprise less than a year ago. I wouldn't have done either without the discount offered at both times (although with Exchange Rate variations that can be a "lottery").

If this is going to be an annual thing, I want a simpler licensing model without the arbitrary and apparently random "discounting" that we've seen in recent years.

I want to be able to "budget" for this, and make a sound financial choice about it.

Cheers, Paul

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.