Still getting AV with 5.1.9, attached is a demo

I am getting an AV when embedding fonts. I am using the new realease 5.1.9 for XE7.

Attached is a demo.

Please fix quickly. I have a project that I would like to utilize the Threading Library in XE7 but I have not been able to upgrade my project to XE7 because of this bug. I do not want to wait another whole month for an update. Please fix quicker if possible.

Comments

• edited 3:40PM
    Just tried 5.1.10 and still has the error.
    rhodesv wrote: »
    Has anyone found anything here as a work around yet?

They just released (11/27) 5.1.11 but it still has the bug. From talking with support it seems to occur in XE7 but works in XE6. I have not verified that.

I purchased the source a couple days ago in order to try and fix this problem. Wish me luck. If it does work in XE6 then I can run 2 virtual machines (one XE6 and the other XE7) and step through code side by side (2 monitors) to see where the point of failure is. If it is a XE7 bug then I will try to find a workaround.

rhodesv wrote: »
    Has anyone found anything here as a work around yet?

Today is thanksgiving and I need to stop working, but I do see something suspicious and a possible fix:

Below is the code that is blowing up with an AV
    function CmapTableClass.LoadSignedCmapSegment(segment_ptr: Pointer; segment_count: Integer ): TSmallintArray;
    var
      i: Integer;
      p : TWordArray;
    begin
        SetLength(Result, segment_count);
        p := segment_ptr;
        i := 0;
        while ((i < segment_count)) do
        begin
            Result[i] := TTF_Helpers.SwapInt16(p[i]);
            inc(i)
        end;
    end;

Here is another peice of code that works I think:
    function CmapTableClass.LoadCmapSegment(segment_ptr: Pointer; segment_count: Integer): TWordArray;
    var
      ptr: ^Word;
    begin
        ptr := segment_ptr;
        begin
            Result[i] := TTF_Helpers.SwapUInt16(ptr^);
            Inc(i);
            Inc(ptr);
        end;
    end;

See the difference, they are using a dynamic array in one (TWordArray) and then regular old style ^Word in the other. I am suspicious of the pointer assignment to the dynamic array because the compiler does reference counting to them. I have to leave for the day but I wonder if getting rid of the dynamic array cast and using old style pointers with Inc would fix the problem.

I fixed it in my source, if you have the source change the source in unit frxCmapTableClass line 193 to the below:

The solution was to get rid of casting a pointer to a dynamic array.
        function CmapTableClass.LoadSignedCmapSegment(segment_ptr: Pointer; segment_count: Integer ): TSmallintArray;
        var
          WordPtr : ^Word;
        begin
            WordPtr := segment_ptr;
            begin
                Result[i] := TTF_Helpers.SwapInt16(WordPtr^);
                inc(i);
                Inc(WordPtr);
            end;
        end;

• edited November 2014
    Thank you, Bill E,

your fix saved my a.. today. I hope FR will use it or something similiar in their stable realease and publish it for XE 7 asap...
    I see there is a new 5.1.12 version. Does this version have this fix in it?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.