What about PDF IMPORT?

edited 4:27PM in FastReport 3.0
I often have to print pre-build modules from taxes of other "official" things that are provided in PDF.
Now I have to print the (empty fields) PDF and then re-insert the printed paper and print the FR report to fill the holes, but it's a really unconvenient and poor way of doing things.
In addition, paper error in feeding multyply their effect (if the PDF was printed a 2mm too on the left, and that page of the report with the values 2mm too to the right, I get a 4mm error in alignment...).
I would like the possibility to "import" the PDF as background image, and position/print the fields upon it.
Is it planned for 3.0?
thansk a lot

Comments

• edited 4:27PM
    You can convert PDF to image (bmp, jpg) and use as a page backgound. FR3 does this.
  • Bert BinnenmarschBert Binnenmarsch Terneuzen
    edited 4:27PM
    wrote:
    FR3 does this.

I see no use for referring to a product that is not available.
    So it is available now?
    AlexTZ wrote:
    You can convert PDF to image (bmp, jpg) and use as a page backgound. FR3 does this.
    The problem is that with raster images, if you want a A4 paper at 300dpi resolution, you have a HUGE bitmap created and transmitted to the printer. I've tried this aproach with FR2, and also managing the bitmap at design time was a pain. Printing 100 sheets of that amount of data will kill your printing system, and take forever.
    Jpg is a small FILE, but becomes huge in memory where it's "exploded" to be used.
    PDF is becoming the "de facto" standard for documents that must be printed correctly, don't need proprietary software to be read, and consume few resources as file and in memory, expecially if sent to laser printers (PCL, PostScript).
    FR3 can't handle PDF "images" (the only way to use PDF is TfrxOLEView object).
    Could you please consider it as a "very desiderable" addition? Maybe a further selling point against other report products.
    Thanks
    Marco Menardi

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.