Show a second copy of a report, keeping first one on screen?

hsmhsm
edited 4:06AM in FastReport 4.0
How can I show a second copy of a report in preview while the first copy of the report is still displayed on the screen?

I need to do this as in my application the user makes choices from a menu and those choices are used to build the SQL that creates the dataset for the report.
The report is then shown using ShowReport(true);

For example, the user might choose to see a report to do with students' grades for year 11.
Then - while that year 11 report is still in preview (with modal = false) - they go back to the menu and choose to see the same report but this time for year 12.

I know that by setting my report's modal property to false I can open report B while I still have report A displayed in preview. But at the moment, even with modal = false, the year 11 report gets replaced by the year 12 one if I choose the same report.

Howard

Comments

• gpigpi
    edited 4:06AM
    wrote:
    Use
    frxReport1.LoadFromFile('1.fr3');
    frxReport1.PrepareReport(True);
    frxReport1.LoadFromFile('2.fr3');
    frxReport1.PrepareReport(False);
    frxReport1.ShowPreparedReport;

• hsmhsm
    gpi wrote: »
    Use
    frxReport1.LoadFromFile('1.fr3');
    frxReport1.LoadFromFile('2.fr3');

Thank you gpi,
    However I currently don't save any reports to a file so there is nothing to load. Where did the 1.frs and 2.fr3 files you are loading come from?

If they are the report design saved to a file does this mean I need to save, and distribute, as many duplicate copies of my report as there are menu choice combinations creating the sql.? There could be quite a few (around 60 that I can think of and that's just for one report eg 4 year groups, 6 houses, 2 genders, 40 registration groups plus options on the field the report is grouped by)
  • gpigpi
    wrote:
    Where did the 1.frs and 2.fr3 files you are loading come from?
    Application folder
    wrote:
    If they are the report design saved to a file does this mean I need to save, and distribute, as many duplicate copies of my report as there are menu choice combinations creating the sql.? There could be quite a few (around 60 that I can think of and that's just for one report eg 4 year groups, 6 houses, 2 genders, 40 registration groups plus options on the field the report is grouped by)
    Use

• hsmhsm
    Where did the 1.frs and 2.fr3 files you are loading come from?
    Application folder
    Use

Thanks for the suggestion gpi, but that didn't make any difference. The second report overwrites the first instead of appearing in a new preview window.
    Also, using those lines instead of just frxReport1.ShowReport(true), I get an error from the ClientDataset that supplies the data to the report (via a frxDBDataset) - 'No index currently active'. I set up various indexes before showing the report to alter the sort order depending upon the choices the user makes.
  • gpigpi
    wrote:
    The second report overwrites the first instead of appearing in a new preview window.
    My code should add second report to first.

You can use only one preview for one TfrxReport instance
  • hsmhsm
    wrote:

Thats what I was begininning to suspect.
    Is it possible therefore to create a second instance of a TfrxReport?

Currently I have the TrfxReport object placed on a form because that is so much easier.
    Does this mean that I wouild need to create the report dynamically, using something like
    MyReport := TrfxReport.create?

If so I've no idea how I would set all the elements of this report up. (The report in question is a cross tab report containing several interactive elements and quite a bit of code that manipulates what is shown in the cells and how it is dislayed.)

Maybe I've reached a limitation of FastReport

Howard
  • edited 4:06AM
    hsm wrote: »

IIRC FR uses a few global variables which will probably always give a problem for creating 2 reports in parallel.
  • gpigpi
    Use
    frxReport1.SaveToStream(MemoryStream);
    MemoryStream.Position := 0;
    frxReport2.LoadFromStream(MemoryStream);

• Zhou X.B.Zhou X.B. Indonesia

Thats what I was begininning to suspect.
    Is it possible therefore to create a second instance of a TfrxReport?

Currently I have the TrfxReport object placed on a form because that is so much easier.
    Does this mean that I wouild need to create the report dynamically, using something like
    MyReport := TrfxReport.create?

If so I've no idea how I would set all the elements of this report up. (The report in question is a cross tab report containing several interactive elements and quite a bit of code that manipulates what is shown in the cells and how it is dislayed.)

Howard

I faced a similar difficulty as you did Howard. For now, I got a temporary solution by coding like this:
    - update the source of Fast Report ie. frxPreview.pas

procedure TfrxPreview.RefreshReport;
    var
    hpos, vpos, pno: Integer;
    begin
    //if not Assigned(Report) then exit; // just don't user the Refresh feature
    Exit;

hpos := FWorkspace.FOffset.X;
    vpos := FWorkspace.FOffset.Y;
    pno := FPageNo;

Lock;
    FRefreshing := True;
    try
    Report.PrepareReport;
    FLocked := False;
    FThumbnail.Locked := False;
    if pno <= PageCount then
    FPageNo := pno
    else
    FPageNo := 1;
    UpdatePages;
    UpdateOutline;
    finally
    FRefreshing := False;
    end;

FWorkspace.FOffset.X := hpos;
    FWorkspace.FOffset.Y := vpos;
    FWorkspace.Locked := False;
    FWorkspace.Repaint;
    FThumbnail.Repaint;
    if pno > PageCount then
    PageNo := 1;
    end;

- don't use ShowReport, but
    PrepareReport;
    ShowPreparedReport;

There are drawbacks w/ this ad hoc solution:
    - user must wait until the full report prepared before the preview window showed
    - we can not utilize the auto-refresh ability of fastreport, which is good for some occasions

Actually, Fastreport preview engine is a dynamic preview, while what we wanted is a static one.
    Hope this can help.

Zhou

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.