Correct way to make a grouped report...

hsmhsm
edited 2:16AM in FastReport 4.0
I can make a simple cross tab displaying data from one department (The underlying sql selects just that dept).
e g
name.....grades
...A.......1..2..3..4
...B.......2..4..6..8
...C.......5..6..7..8
...D.......2..6..4..3

Now I want to extend the report to a grouped report that shows a separate cross tab for each department. (one for each group, with the selection removed from the sql)
eg

Dept A <
group header
name.....grades <
data for that group
...A.......1..2..3..4
...B.......2..4..6..8
...C.......5..6..7..8
...D.......2..6..4..3

Dept B <
group header
name.....grades <
data for that group
...X.......6..7..8..9
...Y.......3..5..7..6
...Z.......1..2..3..4

How should I lay out the bands and cross tab object so that each cross tab only shows data from the corresponding department ?

Comments

• gpigpi
    edited 2:16AM
    Use two datasets: first for unique group header's values (Master), second for group data (Detail). Use cross-tab with detail dataset
  • hsmhsm
    gpi wrote: »
    Use two datasets: first for unique group header's values (Master), second for group data (Detail). Use cross-tab with detail dataset

Thank you but I always seem to get a key violation when I open the detail dataset. linked via the 'master Source' and 'MasterField'

My master dataset (called dsUniqueClassSets) contains unique ClassSets (field name TheClassSet), my detail dataset contains records which include a ClassSet field (coming from the same original table, called ThisClassSet)

in the detail dataset I have set the masterSource to be 'dsUniqueClassSets' and the master field to be 'TheClassSet', linked to the detail field 'ThisClassSett'
    I get the error as soon as I open the detail dataset - before I even run the report/

The master query sql is
    select distinct ClassSet as TheClassSet  from Grades order by ClassSet

and the detail sql as
    SELECT 
          Students.LastName || ', ' || Students.FirstName as name,
          Students.Gender as gender,
          Students.KS2APS as 'Ks2 APS',
          Students.KS2Band as 'Ks2 Band',
          Grades.GradeDate as TheGradeDate,
          Grades.ClassSet as ThisClassSet,
          Grades.CurrentGrade as ThisGrade,
          Grades.SubjectCode as Subject,

T.ClassSet as OtherClassSet,
          T.subjectCode as OtherSubjectCode,
          T.CurrentGrade as OtherGrade
    FROM 
          Students
          INNER JOIN Grades ON (Students.UPN = Grades.UPN)
          Inner Join (select Grades.upn,  Grades.ClassSet,   Grades.SubjectCode,  Grades.CurrentGrade from grades) as T on ( T.upn = students.upn)
    order by  Grades.ClassSet,Students.LastName || ', ' || Students.FirstName

so you can see that the 'TheClassSet' in the master will occur only once and the corresponding 'ThisClassSet' in the detail may occur many times but as they both come from the same table the master should always match one or more detail records.
    Any idea why I get the key violation?
  • gpigpi
    Why I don't see
    WHERE Grades.ClassSet = [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />1 in your detail sql?[/img]
  • hsmhsm
    gpi wrote: »
    Why I don't see
    WHERE Grades.ClassSet = [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />1 in your detail sql?[/img]

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Why do I need a where clause and what should Grades.ClassSet be equal to?
    I'd like to understand this method - especially if it is fast - but I have solved the original problem using your idea of two datasets but with a datasource pointing at the master. Then in the OnDataChange event of the datasource I set the range of the detail dataset. ie
    currentClassSet := cdsUniqueClassSets.FieldByName('TheClassSet').AsString;
    cdsGradeXtab.SetRange([currentClassSet], [currentClassSet]);

That seems to work quite well as it only accesses the database once, when the datasets are opened, instead of re-querying it each time the master changes, which I suspect is what using the MasterSource and MasterField would do.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.