Excel Export causes error

Can anyone direct me to a solution where attempting to Export to Excel causes an error 'Variant does not reference an automation object'

I am using Delphi 5 and have Open Office 3 installed (which i upgraded from 2.4)

I have a test program which successfully exported to excel and this opened and worked in 2.4. Now the same program causes this error.
I looked at any results based on searching for this error but nothing I found has made any difference, I also uninstalled Open Office 3 and restarted machine, but this also has failed. Any direction would be good as I am trying to convince the boss that FR is the product to move to, yet not being able to export to XLS is a real stumbling block.

Comments

• edited 3:09PM
    Attach a sample report (.fr3 or .fp3) that causes the error.
    If you don't use images in your report, there is a solution. At the moment a new xls export is being developed. Now it's able to export all report elements except for images. Exporting images will be added later. If you need this xls export, I can add it to the next build of FR.
    Draeden wrote: »
    Attach a sample report (.fr3 or .fp3) that causes the error.
    If you don't use images in your report, there is a solution. At the moment a new xls export is being developed. Now it's able to export all report elements except for images. Exporting images will be added later. If you need this xls export, I can add it to the next build of FR.

Thanks for that info, but it appears the page is irrelevant, i created a new blank page and attempted to export and got the same error, however i did successfully export this same blank page to PDF, HTML and CSV and all of these opened and displayed a blank page with the Fast Reports message at the top. It seems to be localised to the excel export.

I have attached the blank page for you anyway.

I've exported your report to OLE XLS and XML XLS. No error occured. Produced Excel files are correct. Probably, you're using an FR build that is out of date. Try to export this report with the latest build.
    Draeden wrote: »
    I've exported your report to OLE XLS and XML XLS. No error occured. Produced Excel files are correct. Probably, you're using an FR build that is out of date. Try to export this report with the latest build.

Thanks for testing out that report, I did as you suggested and updated my version of Fast Reports to the 16th December 2009 download. I uninstalled the previous version and installed the latest, but again this does not work on my machine, which must suggest there is some problem with my machine and its setup which causes this to occur. If i can get a spare machine and setup Delphi and Fast Reports on it I will see if the download i already have works, and if I can identify why this has occurred on my machine report it as it may occur on others.
    I have two things to add to this post,

The first is that I should have posted this in the Fast Reports 4.0 section and not Studio Section as this problem is relating to using the Delphi 5 components, however i imagine its the same stuff for the studio version.

Second, I installed the latest (16-Dec-2009) Delphi 5 components into a new Delphi 5 and attempted to Export to Excel, again it failed however this time it failed with an Access Violation and the not the error i reported earlier in this post. The only other factor was I attempted this inside a VM so I trust it should not have an issue with doing that.

I would ask any of the FastReports people to consider looking further into this and doing the same to see if they can get the same issue, I honestly cannot recommend to the company i work for that this is the product to move and build all the reports for the entire enterprise system in.

If I need to provide any specific information then please either email me, or post here as I will check this post as often as I can given its currently xmas.
    Yes, some information is needed. Write parameteres of your machine (OS, processor, etc.) and I will try to do the export in a virtual machine.
    Hi I am back Moday the 4th and will attempt to give you the specifics of the environment i have / am using so you can replicate.

Thanks
    VM System Details and OS

VMWare Server Console - Version 1.0.1 build-29996

OS - Windows 2000 5.00.2195 SP4
    Intel celeron 3.33Ghz CPU
    256 MB RAM

MY own Dekstop System is - Windows XP 2002 SP3 on Intel core Duo CPU 2GHZ with 2GB RAM

I installed Open Office 3.1 onto this VM OS and attempted the export and received the Access Violation.

Hi to Anyone who reads this post,

I've added these attachments which are the screens from MadExcept when I reproduce the issue outlines in this post. I figure someone may get something relevant from it and it might help to finally resolve the problem.

Has anyone else been able to reproduce this issue, i have tried on multiple environments and can make it happen every single time.
    This is a common task for ASP.NET developers. You have a Web application where you expose data from a database, Web service, or third-party API and you need an "Export to Excel" button. I have used different approaches to export to Excel from a Web application
  • gpigpi
    edited 3:09PM
    You must install MS Excel for XLS OLE export filter

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.