Unicode Export to PDF

I'm testing Fast Report because my current reporting software does not export unicode characters to a PDF file correctly (and because their support has disappeared). However, the Fast Report export seems to have the same problem. The report displays the unicode characters correctly in the preview, but when I export to a PDF the characters are not correct. Is there a special setting I need to use to export the unicode characters to a PDF?

Comments

• I should add that I am using Delphi 2009 and FR 4.7.57. For example, the database contains Greek characters. In preview mode, the characters are displayed correctly...

greek1.png

but when I generate the PDF from the preview window the characters are gibberish...

greek2.png

So is this a bug in the PDF export or is there a setting I need to use to get the Greek characters to display correctly in the PDF. (If I create a PDF from Word using Adobe 6.0, the Greek characters are displayed correctly.)

• gordkgordk St.Catherines On. Canada.
    edited 6:22AM
    Gordon i am not sure if this will help or not try embedding the fonts.
    another approach is to use a program like scansoft's/nuance's pdf creator which installs as a printer driver
    and use it to print the report.
  • Embedding the fonts does not help. This is for a product I sell internationally, and so I need a solution that I can distribute with the application, preferably as a part of the reporting software.

Saving reports to a PDF supporting unicode is a big part of why I am investigating Fast Reports over my current solution (it has the same problem). So, is this a problem that you expect to fix or is an external solution the way to resolve the problem?
  • edited February 2009
    i have the same problem, the support wrote:"... But PDF export do not support unicode. We are work for it..."
    nice... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> best mathias[/img]
  • udiudi
    edited 6:22AM
    Hello,
    I have the same problem with Chinese Unicode character .. Fast-Report, actually, does not export to PDF in Unicode.
    The solution may be found in a third party that built a component that export from Fast-Report to PDF (in Unicode) , like
    eDocEngine from Gnostice - but it is not yet ready as well.
    If you have other solution(s) - let me know.
    Udi.
    Embedding the fonts does not help. This is for a product I sell internationally, and so I need a solution that I can distribute with the application, preferably as a part of the reporting software.

Saving reports to a PDF supporting unicode is a big part of why I am investigating Fast Reports over my current solution (it has the same problem). So, is this a problem that you expect to fix or is an external solution the way to resolve the problem?
  • edited 6:22AM
    I too have this problem is serious for my development not to be able to export Unicode in PDF (Chinese, Japanese, other...)!

When the solution is vital for me!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.