When will be the ASP.NET version ready ?

I have been using FastReport in Delphi for many years. Now I am developing my first Web application in ASP.NET using Visual Studio. I reached to a point where I have to decide and buy a Reporting Library.

My old experience and trust in FastReport pulls me to adopt it for .NET development too. May I know when FastReport will be ready for ASP.NET. I am forced to take a quick decision on this issue.

Tariq Changgez

Comments

• edited 1:01PM
    Hello,

It's almost ready, you can use the WebReport component in your ASP.Net project now. However we haven't finished some functionality:
    - work in the medium-trust environment
    - print from webreport (this requires the PDF export filter which is not ready yet)
    - the documentation.

If you have questions regardind the WebReport component I will try to answer them all.
  • AlexTZ wrote: »
    Hello,

It's almost ready, you can use the WebReport component in your ASP.Net project now. However we haven't finished some functionality:
    - work in the medium-trust environment
    - print from webreport (this requires the PDF export filter which is not ready yet)
    - the documentation.

If you have questions regardind the WebReport component I will try to answer them all.

What is WebReport component. I don't know at all about it. Can you please provide some information about it.

Tariq
    The WebReport component is in the VS Toolbox. This control can be placed on an asp.net page when you work with asp.net project type.
  • I found "WebReport" component in the Toobox of VS under "FastReport.NET" group. I dragged and dropped it on an ASP.NET Web Form. Is there any guide what to do next. I found a link "Design Report" at the bottom of the Property Window, when clicked at this link, it displayed a message: "Could not find method "DesignReport".

I little help will make me moving. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" /> Tariq[/img]
    Do you use the latest version of FastReport.Net? It should not complain about this method.
    I see the problem now, we will solve it in the next build.
  • Yes, I am using the latest version of FastReport.NET.

Tariq
    In the latest FR.Net version, you can use the WebReport component several ways.

- setup all necessary data components. For example, it may be AccessDataSource.
    - put the WebReport component on your form.
    - in the smart tag menu, select the "Select Data Source..." item and choose the datasources you want to use in a report.
    - select "Design Report..." item to run the report designer.
    - create the report layout.
    - close the designer when you have done.

The report will be saved in the "ReportResourceString" property of the WebReport component. It's a first and simplest way to use the report. Save changes in your project and run it. You will see the prepared report. This way has a shortcoming: the report is stored in the ViewState, so entire report template will be transferred to the client.

The second way is to save the report in a file. To do this:
    - design your report.
    - save it to the file.
    - in the Solution Explorer, select the "App_Data" folder, right-click it and choose the "Add|Existing Item..." item. Select the report file that you just saved.
    - select the WebReport component and clear its "ReportResourceString" property.
    - select the "ReportFile" property, invoke its editor and choose the report from App_Data folder.

The third way is to use the report as a class. This way is the only one that will work in shared hosting (under medium trust). To do this:
    - design your report.
    - save in to the .cs/.vb file. To do this, select "file type" in the Save dialog. The file type maybe either .cs or .vb - it depends on the script language in the report (it may be changed in the "Report|Options..." menu).
    - include that file into your project. It's better to put it in the App_Code folder.
    - clear both "ReportResourceString" and "ReportFile" properties of the WebReport component.
    - create the WebReport.OnStartReport event handler and write the following code in it:

SimpleListReport report = new SimpleListReport();
    report.RegisterDataAsp(your_data, "your_data_name");
    WebReport1.Report = report;

- if you need to design the report, open the report file (.frx ! not .cs or .vb), design it and save as .cs/.vb.
  • I have started using the latest FR.NET with WebReport. However I faced some problems with Session State. I am closing this thread and starting a new one as this is mostly related to the question as to when the .NET version would be released.

Tariq Changgez
    Hi Alex...

Am new to this fast report.i was tryng as u said.

-- i dragged tat webreport to my aspx form
    but i couldnt find any "Select Data Source"...

plz help me
    Alex...

I got it...but i cant create a datasource(Not able to make a connection) am using firebird as dbms...plz help me
    Hello,

Do you need to create a connection/datasource that is stored in a report, or to use an application dataset?
    Hello,

Do you need to create a connection/datasource that is stored in a report, or to use an application dataset?
    hi alex
    I got the connection and i made one datasource.i made one frx file and in button click am loading the frx file.but in pageload itself its loading,i need the report to load in button click only.
    if u dont mind can u plz help me in using fastreport in asp.net in detail
    Hello,

Did you read the programmer's manual? It has several chapters about using FR in ASP.Net.
    Hello,

Did you read the programmer's manual? It has several chapters about using FR in ASP.Net.

hii read it.but its not in detail,i need a detail one.for windows application its given in detail.but while coming to asp.net its not in detail.
    am using asp.net and firebird as dbms.how can i make a datasource,and implement this in fast report.

plz help.
    wrote:
    how can i make a datasource,and implement this in fast report.

Sorry, I don't get the question. Please describe in details what you need to do.
    AlexTZ wrote: »
    how can i make a datasource,and implement this in fast report.

Sorry, I don't get the question. Please describe in details what you need to do.
    i want to knw hw can i use fastreport in asp.net (although i have read programmers manual ,but its not in detail).
    it will be better if u provide one sample application of fast report in asp.net

thanks
    ejaz
  • mohanarajmohanaraj 600001
    edited 1:01PM
    Hello,

I'm new to the fast report. I downloaded the demo version and installed in my system, in the .Net tool box it will appear and i drag and drop this in my aspx file in that i click the design report, it will open the design window in that i want to call the dataset that i create in my asp.net application how can i do this? and i don't want to create the connection in .frm file itself for that i wish to call stored procedure to load the dataset that was created in my Asp.net application. would you please guide me to design the report with field that i created in the dataset of ASp.net application.
    [topic="Report desing"]Report desing[/topic]
    Hello,

Since there is no DataSet visual component in ASP.NET, use ObjectDataSource component. Connect it to a table in your dataset, then use it in a report.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.