Reports for Pre-Printed Stationery?

I get the feeling this isn't possible due to the lack of an earlier answer but I'll just check.

Is it possible to do a report for pre-printed stationery? The main problem is the detail has to be fixed in depth and can only contain so many lines. Is there any way of ensuring the footer starts at a fixed place?

Many thanks

Comments

• gordkgordk St.Catherines On. Canada.
    edited 7:40PM
    Yes it can be done
    here are some hints
    Look at using the engine object to control curx cury positions
    the line# or line variable to decide when to force a newpage or to show a particular band
    you will probably find that you want to use some boolean variables
    to track if you are starting or finished an area.
    ie in a detail header set "done" to false, in oap of footer set it to true
    use headers footers of 0 height to have their events available to reset vars.
    use child bands, can be unattached for, interim footer headers, they can be displayed by calling engine.showband(bandname);
    ie 7 detail recs then a footer
    detail data oap event
    begin
    if not done then
    begin
    if <line#> = 7 then engine.showband(mychildfooter);
    end;
    end;
    inre your other post
    you can either use onget value events of report to populate memos with data
    coupled with fruserdatasets
    or move the datasets datset name.next prior first last. you can also retrieve record count of dataset from script.
    last just because a particular table appears to be unrelated you can make it related at the data level by setting up connections before loading and running a report.

• edited 7:40PM
    Thanks for the reply. Sound like good news. I have a play around with preprinted stuff now it sounds like it can be done. ;)

Regarding the datasets. I don't know if I've misunderstood something. Can I have 2 datasets using fruserdatasets? I've only seen examples using one. I'd need this as my two details blocks would have different numbers of records.

Thanks
    see masterdetail uds demo for more than 1 uds.
    remember
    you dont always need to use frxuserdatasets
    when a frxdbdataset is connected to a band it controls the movement through the records of of that dataset.

if not connected to a band and a band rowcount is used the dataset will stay on the same record until you force it to move
    you can also limit the number of records an frxdbdataset displays by setting the range properties of the frxdbdataset.

scan an save an image of the preprinted form if possible, then
    add the image as a background image to the design page use it to help position
    textobjects and bands
    BTW work in pixels makes life easier.

• edited 7:40PM
    Brilliant, thanks for all the advice! ;)

Nice idea for the pre-printed! That'll save a lot of paper!
    Hi Sparkz
    i forgot to mention when you scan the ppform to only scan the printable area
    so it coincides with the printer being used.
    pp forms can have some areas that are outside printer capabilities.
    ;)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.