Precise positioning

edited 10:36AM in FastReport 3.0
Hello,

I added to child bands to my report page, which I use conditional (either one or the other). The first band is indicated in design mode with fix distance from the page header band. If I change the top property of the child band, it seems to work initially, but then the child band jumps back to its fix position. That makes it difficult to precisely position the elements in the child band, since I have no direct relation to lets say the top of the page. How can I either change the top property of the child band or is there another way to position elements in bands in relation to the top of the page?

Comments

• gordkgordk St.Catherines On. Canada.
    edited 10:36AM
    You are working under a common misconception
    a band is a place holder of objects on a design page, the object's, within the band, cury prop is relative to the bands cury prop by the amount of it's top from the band top at designtime.

The bands positioning measurements on the design page have no direct bearing on where the objects are positioned on the output page, so changing its top design measurment has no effect.
    when 1 band finishes outputting the next logical band according to type or connection(attached child) begins outputing. in other words a page header always starts at the top of the page, regardless of where it is located on design page, the only exception to this is the case of a report title band, when title before header is true. The title will appear on the first output page and the pageheader will start immediately after, this will give the appearance of everything shifting up by height of the titleband on all output pages after the first output page.
  • edited 10:36AM
    Hello gordk,

thank you for that explanation. So that means I either have to do some calculations or, the way that I have chosen, go to preview and then edit the preview to see, where the element appears. ;)
  • gordkgordk St.Catherines On. Canada.
    edited 10:36AM
    not neccessarily so, it means you have to take care in the initial design of each child band or write code to compensate for some conditions.
    if you are using basic edition you cannot write internal code, it is only available in standaard and above.
    the first thing to find, is what causes the apparent jump. may be stretching of previous band depending on data in current record or the title band as i mentioned earlier. ;)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.