PDF overlay badly needed

I asked before, but I try again to push it ;)
Here in Italy we often have modules or forms from government (or tax office) that are provided in .PDF, and with fastreport I have to fill the empty fields from my accounting program.
Do do so, now I have to print the .pdf, feed the printer with the printed papers, and have fastreport to print just the fields in the correct position. Not good for my secretary. In addition, the correct filds positino is impossible to find at design time, so it's a "try and error" loop. And, to make things even worse, different printers have slighty different margins, so you have to print the pdf on the same printer you will use to fill it.
You can't convert PDF to a bitmap and put it as overlay since, to have a good 200-300 dpi resolution at A4 format, expecially if you print in color, there is a HUGE amount of data involved.
The perfect solution would be a overlay layer that can understand (and render) not only raster formats, but also the PDF one.
Any hope to see this implemented in the near future? BTW, I could donate some money (around 100 euros) for this, and if also other people are interested maybe, if it's just a matter of money, we could reach a significant amount to have Alexander devote some resource to it.
Thanks a lot
Marco Menardi
(my current setup is Delphi 6 pro, IBObjects, FastReport 2.54 and migrating to 3.x as soon as possible. So I need this just in 3.x).

BTW, I've posted this message in fast-reports.public.fastreport.3 at 14:30. Now it's 18:07 and doesn't yet appear... do I have to regiser somewhere to post in that newsgroup? thanks

Comments

• gordkgordk St.Catherines On. Canada.
    edited 9:12PM
    Hi Marco
    make sure you set up your newsgroup account directly to newsgroups.fast-report.com not a general listing of newsgroups from an isp
    I have the same problems with gov pdf's as you do, however the problems may lie in copyright infringement and licensing from adobe.
    ;)
  • edited 9:12PM
    Hi Gordon ;)
    Thanks for your reply. You write:
    "...however the problems may lie in copyright infringement and licensing from adobe". AFAIK, PDF is an open format, and you find a lot of Free Software documentation also in that format.
    In addition, KPDF (for KDE) and other programs exist for rendering PDF files, so it should be not an issue.
    And, if there is one, it's a patent one, not a copyright one, AFAIU. Since civilized countries have not (yet) sw patents, we could use that liberty to show the rest of the world how much sw patents hurt innovation ;)
    In addition, FastReports has a PDF export filter... so the know how, even if used in the "reverse/different direction" , should belong to Fastreport company.
    regards
    Marco Menardi
    No, we are not going to write own PDF viewer ;)
    AlexTZ wrote: »
    No, we are not going to write own PDF viewer >

Any news here?

Regards,
    Marc
  • gpigpi
    edited 9:12PM
    No any news. You may use TfrxOLEView for one page PDF, but it will not scaled

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.