Dynamically Changing/Setting Dataset

edited May 2017 in FastReport VCL 5
I'm working on a report that pulls data from multiple datasets, and in one section of it I'd like to be able to choose which dataset is used dynamically.

In more detail, I have two tables ("Table1" and "Table2") which share a lot of field names in common, and in some circumstances the report would show (say) [Table1."Value"], in others [Table2."Value"]. (The actual section contains several dozen accesses to different fields, all present in both tables.)

To implement that I thought I'd try putting the section in a subreport, then:
- Set the subreport's dataset in script prior to displaying it.
- In the subreport set the field references so that the table name is taken from a variable (e.g. [<TableName>."Value"]), and set that variable in script ahead of calling the subreport.

I've got the first of these working with script of the form:
SubReport.DataSet := Report.GetDataset('Table1') ;

...but am struggling with the second; no combination of "field with table name as variable" syntaxes, or variable settings, have worked - they all generate errors on report display.

Has anyone found a working version of this, or if nothing else can anyone confirm whether I'm trying the impossible?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Comments

• gpigpi
    edited 10:48AM
    I think you should pass through all report's objects and replace all expressions
  • edited 10:48AM
    gpi wrote: »
    I think you should pass through all report's objects and replace all expressions
    Thanks, although I have to admit I'm not 100% sure exactly what's meant there. Your suggestion did point me in a direction that's proved to be workable, though (and may well be what you had in mind!):

- In the OnBeforePrint of the section containing the subreport, set a global variable to reference the dataset to be used (dsSource := Report.GetDataset('Table1'))
    - In the OnBeforePrint of the various sections in the subreport, set variables from this to hold the values of required fields (for each value, a line similar to:
    Set('LocalValue', dsSource.Value))
    - In the section itself, display the variable's value ([LocalValue])

That may not be the most efficient way of doing things (I'm not yet very familiar with the detailed options of FastReports), but it does seem to work.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.