SecurityException: Requested registry access is not allowed

Hi everyone,
I'm running into an issue with registry access on a web app that I am running under IIS (Version 7.5.7600.16385). I'm hoping that someone else might have already resolved this issue and can share their resolution. I'm using FastReport.net V 2014.1.2.0. It appears that FastReport library is attempting to read Locale information from the registry and doesn't have sufficient permissions. The stack trace that I receive is:

[SecurityException: Requested registry access is not allowed.]

StackTrace:
at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name, Boolean writable)
at FastReport.Utils.Res.get_LocaleFolder()
at FastReport.Utils.Res.LoadDefaultLocale()
at FastReport.Utils.Config.LoadConfig()
at FastReport.Utils.Config.Init()

I can tell that it is attempting to read the LocalizationFolder string from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FastReports\FastReport.Net. I've created that key for both the user logged in via the web app and the user which the app pool is running under with no success. IIS is running on Windows Server 2008R2 Standard.

Has anyone else encountered this issue ? Any information would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks in advance -- Jeff Gaiche

Comments

• edited 9:59PM
    I thought I'd follow up with the solution to my issue. The issue was that the user making the request to my web app didn't have permissions needed to read the HKCU\Software sub-key. In my case, the HCKU hive that needed additional permissions was determined by the user that the app pool for my application was running under. Once I understood that, and that the permissions needed was for the user from which the request ORIGINATED, I was able to add permissions to the HKCU\Software sub-key so that the registry query was allowed.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.