Limitation on Widestring Fields

Milan VydarenyMilan Vydareny Chicago, IL, USA
edited 12:52AM in FastCube 2
I have a widestring field that originates in a TDataset. The length is designated as 8192. The contents of this field always appears as "Null" in the FastCube grids. However, if I change the length to 8191, the contents do appear.

Since the maximum number of bytes that widestring can occupy is Length * 4 this suggests that there is either a limitation on widestring fields or a bug in FastCube. 4 * 8192 = 32,768. 4 * 8191 = 32,764. Since 32,768 exceeds the maximum integer value of a short integer field, this suggests either a limitation or a bug.

Can anyone clarify this? Is there a limitation or is this a bug?

Thx,

Milan

PS The workaround in my case was to define a calculated field in the TDataset that has a length of 8191 and then use the OnCalc event to substring copy 8191 characters from the input field to the calculated field. I doubt if I'll ever lose a character!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.