How to use dataset schema (.xsd) in designer

edited June 2014 in FastReport .NET
Hi,

I'm in the process of trying out FastReport.Net as a replacement for Crystal Reports in our application. I've already converted a CR report to the .frx format and am able to load the report and export it to PDF (I'm not using any GUI for the report, after the user selects the persons that need to be in the report, the dataset is retrieved, registered to the report and the report is generated in code, exported to PDF and the PDF file is then writen to the response.) I'm able to open the PDF, but only the labels show, none of the fields are filled. I think the connection between the fields and the dataset no longer exists.

The CR report uses a dataset schema (.xsd) as datasource at design time, but I haven't figured out yet how to do this in the FastReport.Net designer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• edited 3:27PM
    Hi, I did something similar a few weeks ago.

I was using an xsd schema file and xml file with data, in the designer you'll need to make an xml database connection, you need to specify two files, one is the xsd schema and a xml file with data, you can design and preview the report until you are sure the everything is ok, after that, in your program code you will need to get the data and save it to an xml file, and then before preparing the report, you will edit the xml database connection of the report object and change the test xml file with your generated xml file, then you can generate your report.

Sorry If my english isn't good.
    elloco999 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm in the process of trying out FastReport.Net as a replacement for Crystal Reports in our application. I've already converted a CR report to the .frx format and am able to load the report and export it to PDF (I'm not using any GUI for the report, after the user selects the persons that need to be in the report, the dataset is retrieved, registered to the report and the report is generated in code, exported to PDF and the PDF file is then writen to the response.) I'm able to open the PDF, but only the labels show, none of the fields are filled. I think the connection between the fields and the dataset no longer exists.

The CR report uses a dataset schema (.xsd) as datasource at design time, but I haven't figured out yet how to do this in the FastReport.Net designer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • edited 3:27PM
    Hi Carlos,

Thanks for your post! I managed to the XML database connection to load the .xsd file (together with an empty XML data file) and connect the fields to the data definition. In my application I can now open the report, attach the dataset to the report and the report will then display all the data.

And that's when I discovered that the grouping I had set up in the CR report have not been converted. So now it only shows 1 record in the dataset and the rest is ignored. Hopefully I can figure out how to add the grouping without having to start the report from scratch.

Thanks.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.