Bug in SQL-Params

edited 11:18AM in FastReport 3.0
Hi...

I've created a report with an embedded ADOQuery which looks like this:
SELECT ID, GUID, Name FROM XYZ WHERE GUID = :GUID

If I now creates a variable called "GUID" with a value = '1234', puts this variable in the param dialog and make a report preview, an (AV) exception occurs!

This error occurs also, if I pass a variable from my app to the report.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Regards,
Marc

Comments

• edited 11:18AM
    Hello kaju74,

I cannot reproduce this error, it worked with a table that I have in my database. Sometimes problems like that happen if the column names are the keywords of the database. Which database are you using?
    Kaju74/MrSpock,

I think the exception error that is coming up is in the following case:

Using the ADOQuery object:

<span style='color:blue'>SELECT ID, GUID, Name FROM XYZ WHERE GUID = :GUID</span>

The Parameter gets created as type GUID because the column in the server is set for uniqueidentifier (in SQL Server anyway).

When you try to apply any text to the parameter it will display an error message:

<span style='color:red'>The following error(s) have occurred:
    aqryXYZ: aqryXYZ: Error in expression: '{SOME-GUID-TEXT}': Expression expected
    aqryXYZ: Error in expression '{SOME-GUID-TEXT}': Expression expected.</span>

At least this is the exception that gets raised when I try to perform this operation.

I am actually trying to query my table by passing in a GUID and it raises this error. If I try and set the parameter itself to string - it tells me the parameter is incompatible and will not allow me to change that property.

In regular sql, I just drop the braces '{' and quote the str to query the uniqueidentifier. I am doing that every where using a regular TADOQuery component throughout my application but I can't seem to trick FR to do it.

If this is the same problem, I'd like to hear the solution...

Thanks in advance,
    -mark
    Yes...this sounds like the same problem as I have...

@FR-Team: Any idea how to solve this...?

Regards
  • gordkgordk St.Catherines On. Canada.
    edited 11:18AM
    Try using a different name for parameter and variable
    SELECT ID, GUID, Name FROM XYZ WHERE GUID = :p1
    in query param editor set the parameter to correct value type and in value box select
    the variable you created in the categorized variable list.
    when passing value in from delphi to variable if a string use:= ''''+'strval'+''''
    if numeric use := value.
    Gordk,

This is the actual query that does NOT work:
    SELECT
     CS.CylinderID,
     CS.SalesOrderNumber,
     CS.ShipIncident,
     CS.Pressure

FROM CylinderShipments CS 
    WHERE CS.ShipIncident = :AShipIncident AND CS.ShipIncidentLine = :AShipIncidentLine

<span style='color:blue'>
    CylinderShipments = SQL Table as:
    ShipIncident = Integer
    ShipIncidentLine = uniqueidentifier
    SalesOrderNumber = String
    Pressure = String
    </span>

I have 2 variables in the report definition:

ShipIncident
    ShipIncidentLine

In code for the report, I am setting the values as follows:

ShipIncident = someinteger
    ShipIncidentLine = QuotedStr(GUID) *This is how I pass to SQL statements. The curly braces are stripped out {}.

I have tried this different ways but the common error I get is when I try to define the parameters for the query object (by setting the GUID field) to either UNKNOWN or STRING, I receive the error:

<span style='color:red'>
    Arguments are of the wrong type, are out of acceptable range, or are in conflict with another.
    </span>

What I do to get around the entire issue is a complete workaround and I don't like it but I have to get this report working:

I created a SQL View where I cast the GUID column as a varchar(40). This makes it as text and then applying the parameters and variable it works like a charm but it creates an overhead in this situation.

We use uniqueidentifiers quite often in our database design and this would definitely hinder the use of them if I can't use them in their native format.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    -mark

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.