Cnnot install Fr3 and TeeChart 7.X

We bought FR3 for D6 with TeeChart 7.04 to get export filters, but cannot install it. When trying to compile dpks, the compiler insists to compile TeeChart files. First of all FS.dpk was totally wrong, that needed TeeChart packages for almost all Delphi versions, I complained and got instructions to correct the lines. That could make difference between Delphi versions but Delphi 6 was missing. I changed the names of the files in requires list to correspond the files TeeChart 7 has but no help. frx6.dpk knows TeeChart for D6 but 6 version 6. I asked more information, and FastReport asked to read teechart.txt. I have done that already. After that I only get automatic reply that my mail has been received, nobody cares to reply. Now there is a newer file to download, better but not good enough.

It seems that there are differences in interfaces between TeeChart versions for different Delphi versions or something else because changing the file in dpk is not enough.

We have been very carefully when purhasing third-party software because these version and support problems. If one has to support the applications for 5 to 10 years it could be better to stay with Borlad "supported" programs only.

There has been mainly two kinds of problems with third-party programs e.g. the supplier cannot correct the error or do not care, this last one is the worst. I am inclined to think that in this case FastReport do not care.

If some version is not supported, it should be mentioned. FR3 seems to support only TeeChart 6 for D6 and D7 according to frx6.dpk and also TeeChart 7 for D7 according to fs6.dpk. In inc file TeeChart 7 Pro means actually TChart 7 Pro for D7 (is there a difference between D6 and D7 in this case?).

The initial price was not high but after this playing with the istallation the total costs exceed also the most expensive (I know) reporting programs.

Based on the posts also others have had same problems, has somebody succeeded to install D3 with D6 and TeeChart 7 Pro, if yes, how?

Comments

• gordkgordk St.Catherines On. Canada.
    edited 6:15AM
    yes others have and replys are in this forum if you do a search on teechart you will find them.

Be careful about duplicate BPLs.

Check

windows\system32 or system depending on windows version

and

Delphi7\Projects\Bpl

And make sure you only have one copy of each BPL
    When modifying dpks DONOT use Delphi
    known bug, when prompted to save changes delphi strips ifdefs from dpks and
    subsequent recompiles won't work.
    ;)
  • gordkgordk St.Catherines On. Canada.
    edited 6:15AM
    sorry
    Delphi7\Projects\Bpl

should have read
    Delphi6\Projects\Bpl
    ;)
  • edited 6:15AM
    I have removed all bpls but no help. Today I installed TChart 6 Pro = TChart66, which is "official" TeeChart package for D6 according to FR3 inc. I could compile fs6.dpk but that was all. Other packages required Tee, which I do not have in this computer any more, why, I do not know. I believe that is the basic version in D6. If I add Tee, then, I am positive, in some later stage some package complains that some unit is in both packages. That's the way it goes, I do have experience. I am inclined to think that FastReport people have never tested the installation.

One more interesting thing. I tried to install FR254 with TeeChart 6 (not compatible with Fr254 or at least not in inc.) . Compiler complained that something was compiled with another version. I added to the environment paths path to FR247 before path to FR254 and the compilation was succesfull. Now I have installed FR254 and TeeChart66 but what version of FR do Delphi use, I do not know.

So also installing FR254 is difficult.

Even if I could install FR3 I have to install also FR253 or 254 to convert the old reports. I may be able to install FR3 professional with TeeChart 7 but to be able to install also FR253 or 254 I may need to buy also professional version of one of those.

I have played with Fr3 now some days and this far the cost of FR3 is let's say 1500 euros+cost of FR3.
    Hi,
    I had the same problems with C++ Builder 6. Change two project files fsx.dpk and frxx.dpk: All Tee7 or Tee6 to Tee7C6. Then recompile with fastreport recompile.exe all packages.
    Be sure, that there are no old Tee Libs and other old tee files in your paths.

Joerg ;)
    Hi again,

My last posting was a little bit confuse - I use C++Builder6 formost...

I tried the Delphi7 Fastreport 3.12 Standard with TCPro7.04 too. But this works without patching the fs7 or frx7.dpk files. I started the recompile.exe and set TeeChart7, recompile all packages and it works. TeeChart7 is a parameter (see fs7.dpk) to set the Delphi TEE77 Unit (from TeeChartPro).

The most problems to install third party libs within Borland IDE's are caused by Old Link LIB's, Units and packages and path's a.s.o..
    Cleaning all this is the best way but not easy ;)

with regards
    Joerg
    Tanks Joerg for your hint. I made again the neccessary modifications for TeeChart 7 Pro and recompiled with the FR's program. When I tried to install, the same error again, never-build package Tee76 has to be compiled.

As I propably mentioned earlier, fs6.dpk do not have any reference to Tee76 but has Tee77. frx6 on the other hand do not even have Tee77 (that is in a way correct, because Tee77 is for D7). I do not know packages so well, but it seems that the TeeChart package name must be somewhere inside some other file, not only in dpk, and that is why the change in dpk (and incs) is not enough. Because FR3 does not know Tee76, it requires to compile it.

We do not have charts in reports, so we commented all lines of TeeChart in incs in order to install Tee-free FR but did not succeed.

FastReport has stopped to support D6 with newer TeeChart than version 6.

We already had TeeChart 7 Pro and when we received FR mail, we decided to "support" FastReport and buy FR3. This far and in the near future, we have no use for the new features.

If a program depends on another, there should be mentioned if newer versions of the programs, the one in hand depends on, are not any more supported. This could have saved us some euros and 3-4 days work.

At least we learned again something. Think at least three times before buy thirth-party components and do not buy if you do not really need. The price may be low but the extra costs may be a lot higher.
  • edited May 2005
    I bought FastScript. Great product, poor support - all the "extra controls" were dumped as soon as it was realised they would require work / support / effort.

I just bought FR3 - again, great product, really really bad / useless support.

If you have all day to muck around doing the work to figure out how to install the FR3 VCL components with ANY version of TeeChart and/or FastScript - great. If you have to get work done, DO NOT EXPECT THE INSTALL TO WORK. It doesn't.

How hard would it be to compile FR3 / Fastscript with 3-4 version of TeeChart? You look like you have 3 products and a few 100s or 1000s of customers. Surely your paying customers deserve some help? Or an install program that actually installs the product they just bought??

I am bitterly disappointed at the lack of support that your products receive. Yes, I am a dumb schmuck for buying them and supporting you.

install.txt tells you how to do a manual install. Great. NOT. You can't get that file until you have installed the control set. Duh! Once installed, Delphi refuses to open, with more errors than you could poke a stick at.

There is a recompile application that doesnt have ANY documentation, which is ok, because it doesnt work anyway.

BUYER BEWARE!!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.