Fastreport terrible slow!!!

Hi,

we have upgraded from 2.5 to 3.0.
If we start the designer and uses some objects the designer went
very very slow to move/select an object. This behaviour could be
reproduced if you place only 2 objects on a form with one picture object.
Load a picture with a small size of 500 KB and you will see that the designer
went very slow.
Is there a workaround or a fix for this?

FYI: We are using a Pentium 3 with 800 MHZ.

regards
Juergen

Comments

• edited 1:33PM
    Picture objects (especially jpegs) slows down the designer. There is no solution for this except not using big pictures.
    The same results will appear if you use small pictures or if you use more than 50 objects on a form. Thats not really nice. The old fastreport was much more faster. ;)
  • dschuchdschuch Dresden,Germany
    edited 1:33PM
    hm I don't think so.

I have converted some very big reports from fr25->fr3. Ok, I NEVER use pictures in the Designer, whether i load them at runtime with Picture.LoadFromFile or I store them in a BLOB field in the DB and so during design time no picture slows down the designer.

I noticed also that fr3 designer becomes slower (more than fr25 Designer) if the report becomes large but not in such a dramatic way. And my bigger Reports own >> than 100 objects with Subreports, many pages and manymanymany bands and a very big script. It needs a short reaction time on my maschine too, but i wouldn't it's dramatic.

Try it with Picture.LoadFromFile

PS : I use P4M 1.9GHZ Notebook

Daniel
    Hi dschuch,

can you post an example how to load a picture during runtime. Maybe this will help, but it would not be a good solution for the end user.

Thanks.

Juergen
  • dschuchdschuch Dresden,Germany
    edited 1:33PM
    Hi Juergen,

its very simple :

If your Picture-Object is named "Picture" then

Picture.LoadFromFile('FileName');

I have declared Variables for the picture files.

in Delphi :

PathApp:=ExtractFilePath(ParamStr(0));
    frxReport1.Variables:=''''+Path_App+'MyPicture.jpg'+'''';

In FR:

Picture.LoadFromFile(<PicturePath>);

so it's not a problem for the end-user.

Hope that helps,

Daniel

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.