Duplex-enabled single page report print-to-file 2 pages (xps, pdf)

Hi,

I have a report that can be one or more pages and my users wish to be able to print it in duplex.

I have set Duplex=dmVertical in design mode on the page of my report.

When I print print using a print-to-file printer (PDF, XPS), it will actually print two pages. It seems like it is printing the back side of a "page", since it does not contain any header or footer.

If I use the export to PDF component, il will be single page.

To easily reproduce, follow those steps:

• Create a new report
  • Add a circle
  • Set Duplex=dmVertical on Page1
  • Ctrl+P for print-preview (only one page in the preview)
  • Print using a file printers (ex: Microsoft XPS Document Writer, any old-school PDF printer)

Expected: A single-page file

Actual: A two page file, 2nd page being blank.

Comments

• Try to set duplex to simplex in the FR's print dialog

• While this solution "works", it seems a bit odd to ask the user to change some parameters with they choose a "-to-file" printers to avoid some blank pages.

I mean, setting the "Pages" option to "1" or "1-3" would also work, but it is somewhat fastidious.

I'm wondering if that extra page added to odd number print-out does not force some printers to "suck up" the page to print the blank side. I will have to test this some time in the future.

• LurkingKiwiLurkingKiwi Wellington, New Zealand

On Windows 7 x64 I have a number of virtual printers: MS XPS, OneNote, Paperport Image Creator, PDFCreator and PDF995.

All of them report 0 for the DC_DUPLEX device capability.

However, my non-duplexing real printers report 1, presumably because the driver supports manual duplexing.

At least you know not to try duplexing if the reported value is 0, otherwise your mileage may vary!

I don't know if this information can be used in any events once the print preview has occurred.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.