How to set a default filename to export a report to any format?

edited February 2020 in FastReport VCL 5

I have to set a default filename in script to export a report to any available format, using a dataset field value, like:

FileName := 'MyReport_' + DataSet.FieldByName('number').AsString

So, the filename would be MyReport_123.pdf, MyReport_123.jpg or MyReport_123.doc.

Comments

• Not sure I understand the question.

Where exactly have you set the "FileName"? Is it a local variable?

Assuming it is local, to export in PDF, DOCx, RTF etc. you need to have instantiated the Export Components beforehand, and then you would need something like:

frxPDFexport1.FileName := locFileName + '.pdf';

frxReport1.Export (frxPDFExport1);

frxRTFexport1.FileName := locFileName + '.rtf';

frxReport1.Export (frxRTFexport1);

frxDOCXexport1.FileName := locFileName + '.docx';

frxReport1.Export (frxDOCXexport1);

In our projects we have a single Unit which encapsulates this, so the code is common and just requires one property to be set and one method to be called...

Cheers, Paul

• edited February 2020

Hi Paul,

My sample code was just as I was thinking about how it could work, with "FileName" as a property of some object, like TfrxReport or other.

I know about the FileName property of each export component (PDF, DOCx, etc) and I'm using it in some cases. I liked your solution.

But, the user can preview two or more reports at same time, so I have to set the FileName in exports components for each report. The user will export the report at preview window.

But, I think the exports components are global, like singletons. Or I'm wrong?

• [quote]But, I think the exports components are global, like singletons. Or I'm wrong?[/quote]

AFAIK you are right. Assuming you just drop the Export Components on your "main" (or Global Functions) Form.

I haven't tried it, but wonder if you could instantiate multiple Export Components in your code.

You'd need to declare them "locally" and then destroy / free them at an appropriate point too.

frxPDFexport1 : TfrxPDFexport;

frxPDFexport2 : TfrxPDFexport;

: :

frxPDFexport1 := TfrxPDFexport.Create (nil);

frxPDFexport2 := TfrxPDFexport.Create (nil);

: :

frxPDFexport1.Free;

frxPDFexport2.Free;

Each Instance could then have its appropriate FileName...

Good luck!

Cheers, Paul

• PolomintPolomint Australia
    edited February 2020

D'uh!

Actually I don't think there is anything stopping you dropping multiple instances of the "same" Export Component on your "main" Form - so no need to do it in code.

But I've realised that doing this might "upset" Preview, and if it doesn't break anything, I don't know what happens if the User chooses to Export from within Preview.

Could be worth building yourself a "testbed" to play with this a bit...

Cheers, Paul

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.