Loading images from base64 encoded strings

So, I'm trying to display images in a report that are encoded in a database as base64 encoded strings.

I've tried a couple of options, neither of which work. I just get a blank picture and no errors;

Both of these options were placed into the _BeforePrint handler.
// Just use image location as per a couple of stack overflow answers
picture.ImageLocation = (string)Report.GetColumnValue("Data.image");

// Load the image into an Image object and assign that to the image property.
Image i; 
byte[] image = Convert.FromBase64String((string)Report.GetColumnValue("Data.image"));
using (var ms = new MemoryStream(image, 0, image.Length)){
    i = Image.FromStream(ms, true);
}
picture.Image = i;

Anyone have any ideas? This has been asked before, and I found an example in the forum, but the example file is no longer available. And since the question was quite old I didn't want to necro it.

Thanks,
L.

Comments

• edited May 2019
    Ok, never mind. After a lot of trial and error, it turns out this was not working because I still had the DataColumn property set on the image. This does not appear to be overridden, unlike other controls such as text (such as when you TextControl.Text = "some text").

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.