XLS export design?

Using 6.1.13 with Tokyo 10.2.3

I have a request to make a new report but with ability to export to XLS.

Report is pretty simple, run query, spit out results. Nothing fancy.

Issue is I can't seem to export to XLS / XLSL / Excel XML without having alot of empty columns in the mix.

The user(s) want to be able to export to view and modify and Sort and whatever the data in Excel.

I couldn't see anyways to really translate the data out of the report to a more stripped down representation of the data.

It appeared only way is to just cram the fields together in the report to get said effect with no empty columns of data.

Comments

• edited 8:30PM
    jdredd wrote: »
    Using 6.1.13 with Tokyo 10.2.3

I have a request to make a new report but with ability to export to XLS.

Report is pretty simple, run query, spit out results. Nothing fancy.

Issue is I can't seem to export to XLS / XLSL / Excel XML without having alot of empty columns in the mix.

The user(s) want to be able to export to view and modify and Sort and whatever the data in Excel.

I couldn't see anyways to really translate the data out of the report to a more stripped down representation of the data.

It appeared only way is to just cram the fields together in the report to get said effect with no empty columns of data.

I guess the file format can be really whatever... as long as it loads with Excel and can be a clean as possible representation of the data?
  • PolomintPolomint Australia
    edited 8:30PM
    It may not serve your purpose, but we have about ten Chart-type reports where the User wants to be able on occasion to use Excel or similar for post-processing.

The way we addressed this was to add our own button to export the dataset that drives the Chart as a CSV file. A file dialogue pops up first to allow selection of folder and file name.

Works for us.

Cheers, Paul
  • edited September 2018
    Polomint wrote: »
    It may not serve your purpose, but we have about ten Chart-type reports where the User wants to be able on occasion to use Excel or similar for post-processing.

The way we addressed this was to add our own button to export the dataset that drives the Chart as a CSV file. A file dialogue pops up first to allow selection of folder and file name.

Works for us.

Cheers, Paul

Hmm.... so do you add a button itself to the report to export this out? I haven't had a chance to look into, but I assume have to write own code to do so... or write a routine to expose to script language code to make
    it doable?

Problem I have is alot of reports, I gotta do manual labor in the FR3 file to make it work ... as i have zero control of the database end of things and the data is not the cleanest in the world. So exporting the dataset in majority of my
    cases won't work. I need to output the "final" data in a since.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.