How do Vertical bands work

Hello,

I need to make a report with a variable amount of columns...
I tried using the DBCross-tab object, but i need the table to allways occupie the full page width even if it as to strech the columns, and i need it to be master-detail type

tables should be something likes this:

Group 1: department a
| Year1 | Year2 |
Process N.?? | group N.?? | Name | Av1|Av2|Av3|Av1|Av2|Av3|
123 | 356 | Jonh | 10 | 15 | | 5 | 23 | 52|
124 | 357 | Alice | 9 | 12 |32 | 99 | 52 |33 |

Group 1: department B

| Year1 |
Process N.?? | group N.?? | Name | Av1|Av2|Av3|Av4|Av5|Av6|
123 | 356 | Jake | 10 | 15 | 12 |51| 23 | 52|
124 | 357 | Ana | 9 | 12 |31 | 9 | 52 |33 |

The first 3 columns are static, but the others vary both on the number dependeing on the configuration selected by the user, and available acording to the group.

And to add to this, i need the table to change page horizontly if the amount of collumns does not fit on the page.

I was trying to user Vertical Bands, but i can't understand how they work, and i can't find much info, neither on documentation or online.

Can someone tell me if i can achieve this with vertical bands?
If so, how do they work?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• gpigpi
    edited 11:33PM
    Use Master-Detail-Subdetail datasets
    Order Master dataset by department field, Detail dataset - unique values of the years values, subdetail - Av values
    Add TfrxGroupHeader, TfrxMasterData, vertical TfrxHeader and TfrxMasterData
    Assign horizontal TfrxMasterData with master dataset, vertical TfrxMasterData - with Detail dataset
    Place static columns from Master dataset on the vertical TfrxHeader, Av fields - on the vertical TfrxMasterData band
    wrote:
    And to add to this, i need the table to change page horizontly if the amount of collumns does not fit on the page.
    Attach a sample what you mean
  • gpigpi
    wrote:
    I tried using the DBCross-tab object, but i need the table to allways occupie the full page width even if it as to strech the columns
    It seems you will need a complex calculations during report's preparing to calculate width of columns in the report's script
  • edited 11:33PM
    Thanks for the help gpi, but i made a few changes, worked with the query, and made this report another way.

But my main problem persists, i still have no clue on how vertical bands work, they seem to be a possible solution for some of my problems, since most of my reports are table's with a variable number a columns.

Is there any documentation that explains how vertical bands work, or any type of course, training... something that explains this component?
  • gpigpi
    Vertical bands is old (from FR2 since 1998) and unstable feature. You may find samples with vertical bands in the FRDemo. See "Old-style crosstab" and "Calendar" reports
    Thank you very much GPI.

Unfortunately that means that i will continue to have a lot of trouble with grid designs, since one of the company rules regarding reports, is that grids must always use the full page width, no matter how many columns it as, in some cases we use a single column stretch to fill the empty space, like a name column, and on other case, we fill with empty grayed out columns. Also no cells must be left open, like what happens when a cross-tab splits horizontally.
  • gpigpi
    Try to use TfrxDBCrossView placed on band on TfrxReportPage with endless height and endless with. Print prepared report with TfrxReport.PrintOptions.PrintMode = pmScale
    gpi wrote: »
    Vertical bands is old (from FR2 since 1998) and unstable feature. You may find samples with vertical bands in the FRDemo. See "Old-style crosstab" and "Calendar" reports

I'm in the demo right now and I don't see a 'calendar' example anywhere. Version 20 18.2.24

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.