Band/Section for doing work in with no query linked?

I have a report where it does a whole bunch of master data sections.

At the very very end, I have to show some totals... depending on a few certain things like if certain sections had any data at all, some user variables passed the the report and such.

Basically I hoped I could drop a header section with the labels for each thing.
Then drop a footer section to put in my totals and such. These totals are all done manually in code in the report it self.

But this doesn't work
The following error(s) have occured:
Unconnected header/footer Footer10
Unconnected header/footer Header8

Basically is there a band/box object, something, to drop on the form to do some work inside of it with out it being linked to any data object.

Comments

• edited December 2017
    Only way I could get around this was make a header and data band. Then link a data band that isn't visible to a dummy query to run. Hack job I know.

It works, but figured there would be better way of doing this without having a data band to run.

Be nice to have something like a Report Title / Report Summary object to drop in there, but to just display in the next list of things to do, vs being at beginning or end of the report.
  • PolomintPolomint Australia
    edited 11:54AM
    "Judge", what type of footer were you trying to use for this? (PageFooter, GroupFooter, ReportSummary?)

We have several reports that seem to do what you want without having to resort to fudges like invisible Data Bands.

Do you perhaps require your "footer" to position at the bottom of a page (or the last page)?

Can you give a bit more detail?

Cheers, Paul
  • edited 11:54AM
    Polomint wrote: »
    "Judge", what type of footer were you trying to use for this? (PageFooter, GroupFooter, ReportSummary?)

We have several reports that seem to do what you want without having to resort to fudges like invisible Data Bands.

Do you perhaps require your "footer" to position at the bottom of a page (or the last page)?

Can you give a bit more detail?

Cheers, Paul

This is a "LargeDesignHeight" report

And the seciton I am working on is not really a footer? .... as my report has many many many bands in it before it gets to this point.
    This is a large, 30 year old report I am trying to replicate using a database system/design from the 80s.
    So I have zero control on the data side. Some (ok maybe alot) of the data isn't layed out very well or just plain nasty and requires some trickery for me to deal with.

Just at this moment its just the next section in the report itself. What I display, calculate, how to calculate things, ect all comes from a settings table.

So its pretty customizable section and is basically pulling from bits and pieces of the report that have been done before this section kicks off.
    All these bits are being saved to variables in the report script code side.

After this section is "finished" , ill be do more things on the report after this. So its not a page footer or group footer or report summary, as those dont fit the bill on this it seems.

If it WAS the very last section, a Report summary would work, but its not going to be the last section once this is all done.

Currently this is all working very well up to this point. Everyone is liking it and its doing the job. Just this section that I am now at, kinda threw me off.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.