[PDF EXPORT] Issues with exported pdf file using synpdf

Hi everyone,

We are using the latest Fast Reports version in our product and, despite being quite satisfied with the result, some customers have send us complaints about exported pdf files.

Here's a showcase of the few issues:

frxSynPDFExport = new TfrxSynPDFExport();
    frxSynPDFExport->ShowDialog = false;
    frxSynPDFExport->OpenAfterExport = false;
    frxSynPDFExport->Compressed = true;
    frxSynPDFExport->Background = true;
    frxSynPDFExport->EmbeddedFonts = true;
    frxSynPDFExport->Outline = false;
    frxSynPDFExport->PDFA = false;
    frxSynPDFExport->ExportNotPrintable = true;

What are we doing wrong?

Anyone had a similar issue about this already?

Thanks a lot for your help :-)

Comments

• edited 5:45PM
    What exactly are the issues? It's hard to tell from your images without any context what they should look like.

But I have to say that synpdf isn't the greatest. While the standard pdf exporter puts everything where it should be like in the printed version (apart from centered images...) the synpdf export moves elements a tiny bit from page to page.
    I probably should have explained a bit more so:

On picture 1: no space between words "la" and "charge"

On picture 2: two words are superimposed on each other

On picture 3: the word "agricoles" has a space in the middle of it

On picture 4: it should be written "Page 14 de 21" but "21" is cut

All right so this is a known issue, the synpdf export moves elements, that seems to be what happen in our exported files. I guess there is no fix about that?

• PolomintPolomint Australia
    edited August 2016
    WBTeam wrote: »
    frxSynPDFExport->EmbeddedFonts = true;

(not sure what happened to my previous reply on this - here we go again [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> ) If I hadn't seen the "EmbeddedFonts := True;" that would have been my first suggestion. While we've not had your problem, we have had clients complain about printing the PDF files generated from FR in our app. This came down to memory problems in the devices doing the printing. So my questions are: - How big are the reports you are creating (ie megabytes)? - What sort of memory does the computer creating the report have? Oh, and how many different fonts are you using in the report? ============== PS You say you have the latest FR version, but you don't mention which "flavour" (Embarcadero, Standard, Pro, Enterprise). PPS Have you raised a Support Ticket?[/img]
    Thanks for your reply [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Based on your suggestions, we ran a few tests and here are the conclusions we made of them: -Issues happen no matter the size of the files. Seems unlikely to come from the memory in our case. We only use one font, with different styles (italic, bold,..) and different sizes. The version we currently use is Fast Report Standard. A coworker noted that sometimes by using a different font size, the issue doesn't come out. I didn't raise a support ticket, do you think I should?[/img]
  • PolomintPolomint Australia
    edited 5:45PM
    Thanks for your reply >
    No worries >
    I didn't raise a support ticket, do you think I should?
    Based on the analysis you've reported above, yes. Sounds like "embedding" isn't working properly.

I googled around a bit last night and it seems that kerning problems with PDFs are quite common. There were quite a few examples with fonts requiring special characters. But I think your report was in French (non?) which shouldn't stretch the font requirements!

Good luck with the Ticket - Support can be frustratingly slow - we reported a PDF issue several releases ago and it took quite a few version updates before our problem was resolved. >
    Yes, the report was in French [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> All right, then I'll open a ticket about this issue, hoping that it won't take too long to be solved. Thanks for your advice![/img]
    We found our best results using the Gnostice PDF Exporter. We write government (ObamaCare) type reports that must be EXACT, and found that the built in PDF exporter just was not up to the task.

FWIW

Monte
  • gpigpi
    edited 5:45PM
    Also try to use PDF printer

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.