Master-Detail relationship for large detail tables

Hi,

I'm developing a generical report generator. The report receives a dataset for its creation. In my case, I need to create a master-detail N:N relationship to represent the data.

In this link, there's an master-detail example which fills a dataset using SQL:
http://documentation.devexpress.com/#Windo...omDocument11225

What I want is similar, but my master SQL has some filter criteria, such as:
"SELECT CategoryID, CategoryName, Picture FROM Categories WHERE CategoryName LIKE '%Beverages%'".

Using the following detail SQL would be unfeasible, because I may have large detail tables:
"SELECT CategoryID, ProductID, ProductName, UnitPrice FROM Products"

Worrying about performance issues, detail SQL must return only the respective products of the selected categories.

How can I achieve this?

Comments

• edited 5:45AM
    Hello,

You have several options:
    1) add the filter criteria to the detail sql too.
    2) add parameter to the detail sql and bind the parameter's value to the master:

SELECT CategoryID, ProductID, ProductName, UnitPrice FROM Products WHERE CategoryID = @param1
    @param1 will be defined as follows:
    Name = param1
    DataType = Int32
    DefaultValue = 0
    Expression = [master_table.CategoryID]
    Solution number 1 doesn't work for me, because I use two independent and generical SQLs (which will be passed by the user).

Solution number 2 is exactly what I need, but I'm affraid I didn't let some information clear: I use C# and Firebird database. And I don't see how to implement your solution using that.

Thanks for your time!
    #2 is for the case if you added a datasource using the "Data|Add Data Source..." menu. It is not suitable for datasources provided by an application.
    It must be a generical datasourse, since SQLs will be passed by the user. Datasource must be dynamically created.
    Any other ideas?!
    If you create a datasource in your app and register it in the report, you must supply a ready-to-use datasource filled with data. There is no option to somehow decrease the memory consumption in this case.
    Another option is to create datasources in the report using the "Data|Add data source" menu. In this case you can control how the detail datasource is filled. Note that you may pass user-generated sql to the report datasource:

(report.GetDataSource("the_master_datasource") as TableDataSource).SelectCommand = "select * from ...";

AlexTZ wrote: »
    Hello,

You have several options:
    1) add the filter criteria to the detail sql too.
    2) add parameter to the detail sql and bind the parameter's value to the master:

SELECT CategoryID, ProductID, ProductName, UnitPrice FROM Products WHERE CategoryID = @param1
    @param1 will be defined as follows:
    Name = param1
    DataType = Int32
    DefaultValue = 0
    Expression = [master_table.CategoryID]

I am trying to use the option 2 as you described above to print a Master-Detail report using a database (SQL Anywhere 16).
    However, it prints only the *first* Master record with it Details records. When I right click at the Master data source I see several records, all the Offers do have rows in the database.

I have attached a simplified example of my report.
    It contains a table Offers and Details. In the Offers the Select statement is (nummer is the ID):
    SELECT * FROM offertes WHERE nummer BETWEEN 979030 AND 979040 ORDER BY nummer DESC;
    The Detail contains this Select statement:
    SELECT * FROM offerteregels WHERE offerte = :offerte_nummer;
    And the Detail has a parameter named 'offerte_nummer' with the expression '[Offertes.nummer]

What do I am wrong..?

Tia
    Hans

Sorry, found it. I had to add a Detail Band.
    Ignore my post please.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.