Embed Reports or install .fr3 files

Mark ElderMark Elder SD, USA
edited 8:11AM in FastReport 4.0
Hello,

I am getting started with my first project that uses Fast Reports. I'm trying to decide if I should embed my reports in DFM files or if I should save my reports as .fr3 fields and load them separately.

I can see some of the Pros/Cons but wondering what if there is any standard or issue that would sway me one way or another.

Some issues I am thinking of are:

Embedding in DFM:
- Exe is Larger
- Installer has fewer files to deal with
- More programmatic control of report (?)

Install separate files:
- Reports could be updated with rebuilding exe
- Need to load reports from file at runtime
- Version control (may be clearer in subversion logs when/what reports changed)

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• edited 8:11AM
    Mark Elder wrote: »
    I am getting started with my first project that uses Fast Reports. I'm trying to decide if I should embed my reports in DFM files or if I should save my reports as .fr3 fields and load them separately.

Hello Mark,

it depends also whether you plan to modify your report files during runtime by designer. How to store back the modified report file? How you will manage more than one report file? Create form and report component for each report? I would prefer to store the report files externally. Its just one line of code to load them.

Best regards - Ulrich
  • Mark ElderMark Elder SD, USA
    edited 8:11AM
    Thanks!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.