Subtotals and/or Subreports

I have a report with a GroupHeader, MasterBand, and a GroupFooter. The GroupFooter has a total that displays on a page break when a name changes.
I need another total for a group before the names changes that is displayed in the report. For example, a person can have different functions. Each function would have its own total. That total would not need a page break.

Do I need to do a subreport? Is there another way to do subtotals.

The report does not have a detailband. Do I need to add one?

My description is general. Let me know if I need to post more info.

Will someone point me to some examples of subtotals and/or subreports? The manual says to look at the example in the demo. I don't know where to get that demo. I should be able to figure it out on my own if I see an example.

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• edited August 2013
    My report currently does a page break on the name and displays total time in the GroupFooter.
    GroupHeader   Bruce Wayne
    MasterData                                                        Date                      Activity               Time        Name
                           7/1/2013      Drinking        10           Bruce Wayne
                           7/5/2013      Drinking        10           Bruce Wayne
                           7/7/2013      Drinking        20           Bruce Wayne
                           7/8/2013      Drinking        30           Bruce Wayne
                           7/1/2013      Eating                    10           Bruce Wayne
                           7/5/2013      Eating         10           Bruce Wayne
                           7/7/2013      Sleeping                    20           Bruce Wayne
    GroupFooter                                             Total: 110
    [page break] 
    GroupHeader   Clark Kent         
    MasterData                                            Date                      Activity                Time        Name
                           7/2/2013     Drinking        10           Clark Kent
                           7/6/2013     Drinking        15          Clark Kent
                           7/1/2013     Eating        10           Clark Kent
                           7/5/2013     Eating        25           Clark Kent
                           7/7/2013     Sleeping                    10           Clark Kent
                           7/8/2013     Sleeping                    10           Clark Kent
    GroupFooter                                              Total: 70
    [page break]

Now I need to also total the Activity when that changes. There will be no page break for that total.
    Bruce Wayne
    Date              Activity        Time        Name
    7/1/2013                                      Drinking        10           Bruce Wayne
    7/5/2013                                      Drinking        10           Bruce Wayne
    7/7/2013                                      Drinking        20           Bruce Wayne
    7/8/2013                                     Drinking        30           Bruce Wayne
                                              Total:  70
    7/1/2013                                     Eating                   10           Bruce Wayne
    7/5/2013                                    Eating                   10           Bruce Wayne
                         Total:  20
    7/7/2013                                    Sleeping                   20           Bruce Wayne
                        Total:   20
                         Total: 110
    [page break]
    Clark Kent
    Date              Activity              Time        Name
    7/2/2013                                      Drinking                 10          Clark Kent
    7/6/2013                                      Drinking                 15          Clark Kent
                      Total:  25           
    7/1/2013                                      Eating                  10                      Clark Kent
    7/5/2013                                      Eating                 25                     Clark Kent
                      Total:  35
    7/7/2013                                      Sleeping                10                          Clark Kent
    7/8/2013                                     Sleeping                10                         Clark Kent
                    Total:  20
    [page break]                         Total: 70

Do I need a subreport? Is there another way to do a subtotal? Please offer suggestions? Anything that would steer me in the right direction would be helpful?
    Thanks
  • edited August 2013
    I never got the formatting right in my examples above. I attached images of the report.

The report currently looks like this:
  • gordkgordk St.Catherines On. Canada.
    edited 6:48AM
    use nested groups
    add a second group header set condition to the activity field and set its height to 0 if you dont want to see it.
    and a second groupfooter for your subtotal
  • edited 6:48AM
    Yes, nested groups are all I needed. It was simpler than I thought.
    Thanks

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.