The PDF export in FR5

edited 11:31PM in FastReport 4.0
The PDF export in FR5 will be improved with the following features:

1. The ability to create PDF/A-1a documents.
2. Advanced fonts embedding. The improved export will embed only needed symbols from fonts, thus considerably reducing the size of produced files.
3. Exporting several identical pictures as a single so called XObject. This will help to make produced pdfs readable on systems other than Windows.

I offer you to try this new export youself. In the archive you will find a program that can export reports (fp3 or fr3 files) to pdfs. The archive can be downloaded form here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18189361/FastReport/pdf-fr5.zip

Comments

• edited August 2011
    I am very happy to see #2.

Is there any support to have physical printout different from the on-screen view? E.g. On-screen it reads TAX INVOICE, the physical printout reads COPY TAX INVOICE.
  • edited 11:31PM
    It's a different topic. I'm not sure about your question. Ask "den" - he certainly knows.
    Draeden wrote: »

2. Advanced fonts embedding. The improved export will embed only needed symbols from fonts, thus considerably reducing the size of produced files.
    3. Exporting several identical pictures as a single so called XObject. This will help to make produced pdfs readable on systems other than Windows.

I offer you to try this new export youself. In the archive you will find a program that can export reports (fp3 or fr3 files) to pdfs. The archive can be downloaded form here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18189361/FastReport/pdf-fr5.zip

unfortunately, does not work properly... when save fr report into fp3 format and then use pdf.exe to convert into pdf, trying to open in acrobat reader 11 get the error nr 110. It is big problem for fast report that cannot export to pdf working on Mac or Android devices...
    I have tested the pdf.exe with a .fr3 file that only contains a jpeg picture. Luckely this works !! I.e. when I send the outcome .pdf to my IPhone the picture that is placed as an xobject in the .pdf can be viewed. I have seen Word export to .pdf is also working with xobject.

However, when I tried to put in a Memo with lettertype courier and 'Bold', I got a range check error. It was tested with FR 4.12.15. I know this is one of the other shortcomings when showing FR pdf's on other systems than Windows.
  • edited April 2013
    Hello,

I tried TomBaer's solution from this post and now my exports to PDF open corectly on iOS and Android
    http://www.fast-report.com/en/forum/?p=/discussion/10148

Best Regards,
    Cristian Peta
    Draeden wrote: »

As you are not releasing FR5 for several years now, can you at least integrate this with FR4 as embedding a full Chinese Fonts add 20MB to the PDF. I can pay for it as a pre-order of FR5. Just let our PDF view-able outside windows with reasonable file size!
  • dschuchdschuch Dresden,Germany
    edited 11:31PM
    Yes, i use a bad word now: WTF.

For MANY MANY years people are asking for a usefull PDF export now.

Our customers are beginning to kill us because of the worse pdf export. Say a price and we pay for it. Our most important customer today says: money doesn't matter, i want a usefull export.
    How many money do you need to give us a usefull export, say it and we pay. $3000? $5000? Otherwise we need to look for other ways, that would be much more expensive for us, so say sth we can work with.

1) The (old) example here attached here also doesnt export RTF korrekt, RTF still are Pictures => unusable (FullTextSearch in PDF / TextIndexes)
    2) PDF size is still to big.
    3) Background Grafik (as .emf => vektor) is converted to a picture, so FootPrints etc become horrible.

Thx and sorry for the bad words. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> Daniel.[/img]
    peteryau wrote: »

As you are not releasing FR5 for several years now, can you at least integrate this with FR4 as embedding a full Chinese Fonts add 20MB to the PDF. I can pay for it as a pre-order of FR5. Just let our PDF view-able outside windows with reasonable file size!

dschuch wrote: »

Yes, something like that.
    I second that expression.

Our customers are beginning to kill us because of the worse pdf export. Say a price and we pay for it. Our most important customer today says: money doesn't matter, i want a usefull export.
    How many money do you need to give us a usefull export, say it and we pay. $3000? $5000? Otherwise we need to look for other ways, that would be much more expensive for us, so say sth we can work with.

1) The (old) example here attached here also doesnt export RTF korrekt, RTF still are Pictures => unusable (FullTextSearch in PDF / TextIndexes)
    3) Background Grafik (as .emf => vektor) is converted to a picture, so FootPrints etc become horrible.

Thx and sorry for the bad words. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> Daniel.[/img]

Hi.

We gave up waiting, and went for the eDocEngine addon from Gnostice. That solved both 2) and 3) for us. The 1) I'm not sure of.

http://www.fast-report.com/en/forum/?p=/discussion/8510

Petter
    edited May 2013
    Hey, peoples - still no awnser?

Whats going on? Do you just develop for "New technologies" now? Its fine that FR is compatible with FireMonkey now. Would be interesstant how many developers focus on that. The customers, buying your product years ago spend the money. And they wait for a new Update for 3 Years now !!!!!!!!!! All here want to BUY a new update with some USELESS ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS like USEFULL PDF EXPORT!!!

Do you think you will implement some essential new functions for them too?

Here is a usefull code. Pls try this code and at least look how they solved the RTF (RichText) and Embedded Fonts-Problems (FileSize) !!!!

http://synopse.info/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4763

Daniel.
    edited 11:31PM
    Petter S. wrote: »
    Petter S. wrote: »

Hi.

We gave up waiting, and went for the eDocEngine addon from Gnostice. That solved both 2) and 3) for us. The 1) I'm not sure of.

http://www.fast-report.com/en/forum/?p=/discussion/8510

Petter

this export is useless too - elements overlaps, background isnt exportet correctly.

see : http://www.fast-report.com/en/forum/index....;st=#entry28606
    Hey, peoples - still no awnser?

Whats going on? Do you just develop for "New technologies" now? Its fine that FR is compatible with FireMonkey now. Would be interesstant how many developers focus on that. The customers, buying your product years ago spend the money. And they wait for a new Update for 3 Years now !!!!!!!!!! All here want to BUY a new update with some USELESS ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS like USEFULL PDF EXPORT!!!

Do you think you will implement some essential new functions for them too?

Here is a usefull code. Pls try this code and at least look how they solved the RTF (RichText) and Embedded Fonts-Problems (FileSize) !!!!

http://synopse.info/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4763

Daniel.

Thank you very much. While it's not perfect, it's a vast improvement. It boggles my mind how FR still has done nothing about this.
    arronlee wrote: »
    Hi, Bucklepdf.
    Thanks for your sharing. But I have another question for you. I wonder have you ever tried to convert PDF to image files before? I am testing the related PDF to JPG converting, PDF to PNG converting, and PDF to BMP converting programs these days. Do you have experience about it? Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    Arron
    I remember some PDF to Image converter support convert PDF to both JPG and BMP.
    Use this piece of C# code to implement PDF to Bmp conversion.
    And you only need to change bmp tp jpg in the last line of code to convert PDF to JPG file.
    // Used to register all DLL assemblies.
    WorkRegistry.Reset();

// Load a PDF file.
    String inputFilePath = Program.RootPath + "\\" + "1.pdf";
    PDFDocument doc = new PDFDocument(inputFilePath);

// Get the first page of PDF file.
    PDFPage page = (PDFPage)doc.GetPage(0);

// Convert the first PDF page to a BMP file.
    page.ConvertToImage(ImageType.BMP, Program.RootPath + "\\Output.bmp");

• I find a free online pdf to word converter to convert pdf to editable microsoft word and convert pdf to plain text online. all the content will keep the original page layout in the converted word document.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.