Forcing a new page on a group break

I have a report that contains a few thousand rows of data, I get 4 rows (bands) of data per page of the report. I break the report into groups when a particular column changes.

At the point of the break I want to include a section header page that bascially has one item of text"section 1" "section 2" etc. i..e I want to force a page break both before and after the section page.

I can use StartNewPage in the group header to ensure that the group header starts a new page, I need to be able to force the group header to fill the entire page, so that the first of the new records start on a new page.

I can expand the group header to fill a page, but that means that the following data is hidden (scrolled off the bottom) in the report designer whihc isnt very elegant.

Is there a better way to do this.

Thanks

Comments

• gordkgordk St.Catherines On. Canada.
    edited 5:58AM
    set the groupheader reprint on newpage property
  • Thanks gorkd - but that doesnt work

The group header prints ona new page but the next masterdata prints immediately after the groupheader (on the same page)

I have both reprintonnewpage and startnewpage for the group header set to true.
  • edited 5:58AM
    Is there a better way to do this.
    I'm not sure mine will be better, but you can try:
    - Add a subreport at GroupFooter,
    - The subreport should contain one MasterData with one row,
    - Set StartNewpage property of that MasterData to true,
    - Place anything on that page,
    - ... and hope next GroupHeader will start in the next page.

If it doesn't work then you may test similar ideas of forcing new page in the place you need.
  • Thanks Mick

I'll have a play - its not a biggy, but as a FR newbie I just thought I might be misisng something obvious.
    I'll have a play - its not a biggy, but as a FR newbie I just thought I might be misisng something obvious.
    OK, I'll see what I can do for you. Keep your fingers crossed >
    I attach 2 files - the sample report and PDF to show the result.
    I used standard FR compiled demo program (4.11.4) and its database, but I'm sure it will work with the newest as well.
    I used PascalScript, but it's so simple that you'll have no problems to convert it into C.
    I wrote some comments over there to make it more clear what I did and WHY I did that.

PS.
    You were right - it could be a play for you [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> BTW, I still[/img]wonder have you solved (and how) the issue of controlling number of rows with thousands of your pictures?
  • Thanks Mick

no I havent sorted that yet.

Other than I now allow my users to select a subset of the possible rows and warn them if they select a report that has too many that the process may be very slow or may crash.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.