TfrxChartView isn't displayed on iPad/iPhone

edited November 2012 in FastReport 4.0
Hi everybody,

I've created a report with FastReport. In the report there is a table and a chart. When I create the report, save it to pdf and double-click it everything is fine.

When I display the pdf through a browser on my desktop computer (doesn't matter which browser) everything is fine, too.

But when I try to display it on an iPad or iPhone (tried it on Safari and Chrome) the table is displayed but the chart isn't. There's just a gap where the chart should be.

Can anyone tell me why the chart is missing only on iPad/iPhone?

Thanks!

Greeting,
boney

Comments

• gpigpi
    edited 1:55PM
    FR PDF export filter doesn't support PDF/A format. Wait for FR5 or use PDF printer
  • edited 1:55PM
    gpi wrote: »
    FR PDF export filter doesn't support PDF/A format. Wait for FR5 or use PDF printer

Or check out the EdocEngine from Gnostice.

Petter
    peleus wrote: »
    Hi Petter, can you please explain what this means? or at least how to do this?

Check out http://www.gnostice.com/edocengine_vcl.asp . There is a trial to download. It solved our problem while waiting for FR5.

How to implement the thing I can't tell you, as this kind of work is done by others in our company. I'm just the report-builder-guy...

If you decide to go for EdocEngine, take a look at http://www.fast-report.com/en/forum/?p=/discussion/8510 . There is a PPI-issue you might run into.

Petter

But why can I see the chart when I open the PDF by double-clicking it and when I open it through a browser on my desktop computer, but not on the iPad/iPhone?
    When I open the generated PDF on iPad the chart isn't displayed. But when I open the PDF with Acrobat and click "File > Save As > Reduced Size PDF" and then try to open the new file it works on iPad!

Does anybody have any idea how I can create something like a redcued size PDF directly in FastReport? Or any option in the chart which reduced the chart size?!
  • gpigpi
    wrote:

Saving in reduced size is PDF/A?! Sorry, I didn't know this!

Any other possible solutions how to solve my problem?
  • gpigpi
    edited January 2013
    wrote:
    Any other possible solutions how to solve my problem?
    Use test application http://www.fast-report.com/en/forum/?p=/discussion/8310 for exporting fp3 to PDF
    It is a bit disconcerting to see that resources were invested to redesign the website ahead of sorting out this long-standing PDF problem and FR5 release.
  • gpigpi
    edited January 2013
    wrote:
    It is a bit disconcerting to see that resources were invested to redesign the website ahead of sorting out this long-standing PDF problem and FR5 release.
    Do you think FR VCL (FMX, Lazarus) developers redesign website?
    And why Adobe Reader show FR PDF correct?

Resources means ALSO money that were spent for new website design and production.
    FR owners decided to do so instead of employing more programmers who could work on VCL products :-)

Regards
    Mick
  • gpigpi
    wrote:
    FR owners decided to do so instead of employing more programmers who could work on VCL products :-)
    There are thousands programmers who can works on VCL products and there are several web designers who can create new site
  • gpigpi
    And why Adobe (PDF standart creator) Reader show FR PDF correctly?
    When I export the PDF to GoodReader on iPad and then open it, the chart isn't shown as well!
  • gpigpi
    Does GoodReader supports PDF 1.5 format?
    I can't find any information about that on the goodreader page. But I think it doesn't support it....
    There are thousands programmers who can works on VCL products and there are several web designers who can create new site

Dear gpi

We went far away from the main purpose of that forum, which is to share knowledge and experience of FR users and developers.
    But have a look at topic [topic="7791"]"What about FastReport 5"[/topic] started on March 2011. Less then 2 years passed and that topic was visited over 6.600 times.

This is a simple proof of how much FR users wait for FR 5. Nothing would have happened if we hadn't been told "wait for FR5 at the begining of 2011". That's all I think that makes us (many people) disappointed, and it is so natural that we EXPRESS that state of our minds because we face real problems while using current FR VCL.

Thousands of programmers do not solve problems we discuss here - as thousands of people might buy an FR product without a source code and they won't develop it. And those who bought FR VCL with source code may not want to spend even an hour on developing FR by themselves having much enough work to do with developing their own software.

PS.
    IMHO technisoft's diagnosis from of Post#24 [post="26452"]that topic[/post] is still alive!

So, let's go back to sharing our knowledge and experience for all who need it :-)

Have nice day,

Regards
    Mich

• gpigpi
    wrote:
    We went far away from the main purpose of that forum, which is to share knowledge and experience of FR users and developers
    Yes, but I post technical answers about usage PDF files which generated by FR first
    wrote:
    This is a simple proof of how much FR users wait for FR 5. Nothing would have happened if we hadn't been told "wait for FR5 at the begining of 2011". That's all I think that makes us (many people) disappointed, and it is so natural that we EXPRESS that state of our minds because we face real problems while using current FR VCL.
    Yes, I wait for FR5 too, but I don't wait new export filters, FMX or Lazarus support and Ribbon interface, just new report generator which my users will use for printing
    And why Adobe Reader show FR PDF correct?
    No, I am not that stupid. I realize that FR development probably requires more specialized skills than web design. As Mick.pl picked up, I used the word 'resources' for the very reason that skills, time and money are more limited than we wished for.

My comment was because I think that the FR team is under-resourced, I don't know how exactly and to what extent. How long have people been waiting for FR 5 now? I just upgraded to XE3 and would love to have a go a Fire Monkey, but Fast report FMX for Win does not even have a PDF export. Until it does it is dead in the water for me.

Whenever I read big corporations buying tablets for some of their staff so that they can work more effectively, it is without exception an iPad. PDF exports should be made readable on that device. To say it works in Adobe Reader is a poor excuse and worse, no solution.

What is frustrating is that IMO there was no need to change the website but there is an urgent need to get the PDF issues sorted out. Today this is a basic functionality I would expect in a report writer.

We all know that FR is an excellent product in doing what it can do, but there are areas where it becomes increasingly more difficult to look competent and having chosen wisley when facing our customers.
  • tamtam
    edited March 2013
    Dear FR developers,

our customers more and more demand viewing our PDF files (created by FR, of course) on their mobile devices like Android smartphones oder iPads.

Due to some restrictions it's not possible, so I searched the forum and found this thread.

Please, give us FR5 or whatever is needed to create really portable PDF files.

Thank you.

tam

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.