Data Module Pallet

I have the latest Fast Reports and installed it on XE2 update 3 and 4. And when I look at the component pallet for a Form, I have 19 components. But on a data module I only have 7. The most notable missing component that I would expect to have is the TfrxDBDataSet. But the TfrxUserDataSet is also missing. Yet the TfrxDesigner and TfrxDialogControls are there, though I don't see ever using them on a data module.

Yet even the Main Demo has the TfrxDBDataset on the Data Module, how is that so? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> The same with the FastScript, where the TfsBDERTTI, TfsADORTTI, and TfsIBXRTTI are not on the data module. Also TfsScript is not there, but TfsJScript is. This is not as much an issue for me as I don't see doing scripting on the data module.[/img]

Comments

• edited 12:24PM
    I am still bother by this. I have found that I can add the object to a form and then cut and paste onto a data module. But this is awkward. And if creating a DLL, I don't always have a form. Are there any issues with doing this? Am I missing something?

I am also wondering why the TfrxDotMatrixExport is under "FastReport 4.0" and not "FastReport 4 Exports". Though that is not a major issue as I can easily find it via the search.
    I am still bother by this. I have found that I can add the object to a form and then cut and paste onto a data module. But this is awkward. And if creating a DLL, I don't always have a form. Are there any issues with doing this? Am I missing something?

I have the same problem with my new Delphi XE2.
    I cannot even cut and paste to a datamodule. It says:
    Class TfrxDBDataset is not applicaple to this module.

How to get it fixed? Can I report it somewhere as a bug?

Juha
  • gpigpi
    edited 12:24PM
    XE2 doesn't allow add some components like TTimer to datamodule
  • edited June 2012
    gpi wrote: »
    XE2 doesn't allow add some components like TTimer to datamodule
    To clarify, as this is something to be considered when upgrading to XE2, and for development if an earlier version of Delphi is used.

XE2 TDataModule does not allow adding of TfrxDBDataSet.
    TfrxDBDataSet components can ONLY be added to TForm.

Is that correct?

If yes, what other FR components are subject to this restriction?
    Hey,
    Embarcadero solved the problem! I made a bugreport about the issue:
    - http://qc.embarcadero.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=106369

Tomohiro Takahashi explained how to solve it. I can verify it works.
    Here :
    ---
    Please try my steps.
    1. change ClassGroup property of your DataModule from 'System.Classes.TPersistent' to 'Vcl.Controls.TControl' via ObjectInspector
    2. save and reopen the unit.
    3. D&D TfrxDBDataSet component onto the unit from Tool Palette

Note:
    Please see help about ClassGroup property introduced in XE2.
    http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/e..._of_TDataModule
    ---
  • edited June 2012
    Thanks Veto for submitting that. I guess I had missed seeing the ClassGroup change to the datamodule. I will try that and see how it works. It does allow the visual components to be added again. I wonder if they have defaulted it to 'Vcl.Controls.TControl' for existing datamodules?

And thanks Juha for letting us know here.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.