location of fr3 files

edited 11:49PM in FastReport 4.0
hello,

I have a question conserning the location of the report file (*.fr3)

I have about 10 users on my database.

There are two options for the location:

1 - To put these files on the server on a common directory: the files are shared for every users.
2 - I have also the choice to put the files on each computer

What do you recommend? I prefer the first solution but I am not sure that is it possible.

regards

Comments

• gpigpi
    edited 11:49PM
    Try to store report templates in DB BLOB fields
  • edited 11:49PM
    It is certainly possible.

I use a system where there is a global repository of separate reports on the file server, using the Windows file system to keep them organized. The user can select the default report layout, a customized layout for himself only or customized layout for all users.

A reporting system must have maximum flexibility. Long ago I have given up on trying to second guess what reports end-users want and what information, filters, sort orders etc should apply to them.

For this reason I do not like gpi's suggestion because it will make customizations and updates difficult to manage and maintain, especially via a remote connection, I think.
  • mierlpmierlp Netherlands
    Hi,

Well...i just store my reports and templates in a database. Our apps uses a database over the internet and therefore we put
    all report into a database. It's easy, always the latest version, updates are no problems, you don't have to create shares
    where the users can store there reports and maximum flexibility because you only have to take the database with you and
    no additional files. Easy to backup/restore

regards Peter
    Horses for courses, as they say. I think that each approach has its merits.
    sounds good to me
    will come back and leave further comments
  • mierlpmierlp Netherlands
    Hi

As the other reply's...store them in databse. See my post
    http://www.fast-report.com/en/forum/?p=/discussion/8819

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.