Pixels per Inch Fr2.5 vs Fr4.0

Hi,

This is pretty basic stuff and I can't believe that I am tripping over it at this stage. I was using Fr2.5 and had lots of reports which used overlays as a form background. In Fr2.5 an A4 page was 756 by 1069 pixels - about 91.4 pixels per inch, or exactly 36 pixels per cm.

Having upgraded to Fr4.0 and starting to convert the old .frf reports to .fr3, I find that the overlay images are incorrectly sized. On Fr4.0, an A4 page is 793.7 by 1122.52 pixels - exactly 96 pixels per inch.

Was there a change in the default resolution between Fr2.5 and Fr4.0? If so, I just need to resample the form images. If not, I must be doing something pretty stupid.

Thanks
Mike

Comments

• gordkgordk St.Catherines On. Canada.
    edited 6:26AM
    Objects??? coordinates and sizes are set in pixels.
    Since the ?«Left,?» ?«Top,?» ?«Width,?» and ?«Height?» properties of all objects
    have the ?«Extended?» type, you can point out non-integer values.
    The following constants are defined for converting pixels into centimeters and inches:

fr01cm = 3.77953;
    fr1cm = 37.7953;
    fr01in = 9.6;
    fr1in = 96;

For example, a band???s height equal to 5 mm can be set as follows:

Band.Height := fr01cm * 5;
    Band.Height := fr1cm * 0.5;
  • Hi Gord,

That is useful info. However, I still don't understand how it is that, if I set the page size to A4 in Fr2.5, and look at the page width in pixels, it is 756. If I do the same thing in Fr4.0, the page width in pixels is 794.

It looks like Fr2.5 and Fr4.0 have different cm->px conversion factors, which would suggest that the default page resolution is different.

It's not a major issue. I am just wondering was I doing something stupid in Fr2.5 to get a PPI of 91.4. The Fr4.0 PPI of 96 seems more correct anyway and I will be migrating everything to Fr4.0 (including all those ReportBuilder reports that have caused me nothing but pain over the years [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> ) Mike[/img]

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.