Inherited Report

pinbotpinbot Texas
edited 5:42PM in FastReport .NET

Is it possible to change a report to be inherited without redoing it from scratch, even if it means editing the .frx file directly?

I have a complex report that now I'd like to have a base report for the header/footer but don't want to recreate from scratch.

Thanks,

Bryan

Comments

• pinbotpinbot Texas
    edited 5:42PM

Also,

When I add a page to an inherited report, how come it does not inherit the header/footer from the base report?

Only the first template page follows the base report?

Bryan
  • edited 5:42PM
    Hello,

1) It's quite hard to redo an existing report to make it inherited. You may open two instances of the report designer and copy objects from one to another.
    2) That's correct. You need two pages in your base report to do like you want.
  • pinbotpinbot Texas
    edited 5:42PM

2) I was trying to follow the example in the fr.net user's manual.

I'd like to have a consistent header/footer on every page of my report which has about 8 template pages right now, and I'm adding more.

You're saying I need 8 template pages in the base report, correct?

In that case, I don't see much advantage to having the inherited report if I have to make changes to every page in the base report as opposed to the derived report.

I guess what I'd like is a "Global Header/Footer" that would be applied to every page, even new template pages.

Bryan
  • edited 5:42PM
    Sorry, it's not possible to do what you want with the inherited report. Every object in the base report must have only one inherited object. You cannot inherit two or more objects from one base object. There is no "global header/footer".

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.