Data Sources

edited 5:25PM in FastReport .NET
Hi,

I am currently evaluating Fast Reports for use within my application and assessing the feasibility of implementation.

My main issue is that data sources I don't want to allow the users to select their own data sources as this would be a big security risk and require a skilled user also I have a large database which powers the system in an object oriented approach which means that data has to be process and not just simply echoed out onto the report.

I would like to be able to assign a data structure to the report at design time based on a report template that the user has selected. and then be able to run the report from code at the correct time for example.

I would want the user to be able to design an invoice in the designer then the report is then stored in the database and then the report data is then assigned at a later date i.e. when an invoice is required to be generated.

please ask if you require any more details please ask as I need a solution for this problem before I commit to purchasing fast reports.

Thank you

Phillip Jones

Comments

• edited 5:25PM
    Hello,
    wrote:
    I don't want to allow the users to select their own data sources

It can be done by setting the Restrictions property of the designer. It has flag DontEditData which disables the "Data" menu and also the "Actions" menu in the "Data" window. Please tell me if you want to allow the user to choose from datasources you've registered in the report (i.e. access the Data|Choose Report Data... menu), I'll add an option for this.
    wrote:
    I would like to be able to assign a data structure to the report at design time

It can be done by the report.RegisterData method.
    wrote:
    I would want the user to be able to design an invoice in the designer then the report is then stored in the database

You have to implement own Open/Save dialogs for the designer if you want to open/save reports to a database. See how to do this in the developer's manual, the "Working with Windows.Forms/Replacing the "Open" and "Save" dialogs" chapter.
  • edited 5:25PM
    wrote:
    Please tell me if you want to allow the user to choose from datasources you've registered in the report (i.e. access the Data|Choose Report Data... menu), I'll add an option for this.

This would be required as I want to lock down compltly the options avaliable to the user in regards to the choice of data. this will allow me to prevent people selecting an invalid combination of data.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.