How to start Fast Report Designer

edited 11:43AM in FastReport .NET
Hi,

We just bought full version of Fast Report.Net yesterday, everything looks great so far, Good work.

I just have few notes:

1. How can I start Fast Report Designer?????? It seams that I have to open the Demo program then click on Run the Designer which is not a good way.
2. Why I can't open frx files directly with Fast Report??
3. Demo folder should be named examples folder, since this is a Full paid version.

Still, it's really much better to develop and deploy with Fast Report than Crystal Report hell :-)

Thanks,

Comments

• edited 11:43AM
    Hello,

1) we don't have speciall app - the report designer. Typically you don't need this. In most cases, your application provide a data for a report, and this data will not be available in a stand-alone designer. So it's better to call the designer from your application, instead of having the stand-alone designer.
    2) the same reason - we don't have a designer application, which will be associated with .frx file. If you need this app, I can make it, and include in the fr package.
    3) we mean "Demo" as "demonstration", not "trial" - so it's ok, I think [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Thank you for your opinion, it helps to make FastReport better[/img]>
  • pinbotpinbot Texas
    edited 11:43AM

Alex,

I don't agree with your #1.

A Standalone designer is very useful. So far in all my FR.Net reports, I've had to use the demo and click on designer.

Typically, I'll add a datasource connection to my SQL server and then add custom SQL queries to add to the data tree. In the query I use FR.NET Parameters passed. That way I can test the report in the designer and get it laid out like I want it. Then from my main application, I'll replace the parameters or use RegisterData.

I've also done several reports that I don't use an application at all, just modify the parameters in the designer and run.

This may be because I'm used to using FR Studio.

BTW, everything is working exeptionally well.

Bryan

• edited 11:43AM
    Ok, I will add the designer application to the FR.Net package.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.