Number formatting

edited October 2008 in FastReport Studio
I am currently evaluating Fast Reports Studio for Developers, and just tried to set up my first report.

I extract some values from a *.dbf, and try to display those values on the report, using proper punctuation, which seems completely impossible with this product.

Our regional settings display numbers as <!--fonto:Courier New--><span style='font-family: "Courier New"'><!--/fonto-->123.456.789,00<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->.

I am able to set the decimal separator in Fast Report, but not the thousands separator.

If I use the <!--fonto:Courier New--><span style='font-family: "Courier New"'><!--/fonto-->%2.2m<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--> format string, I should get the monetary format as set in the regional setting of the Windows environment. However, the numbers are displayed as <!--fonto:Courier New--><span style='font-family: "Courier New"'><!--/fonto-->$123,456,789,00<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->, which is wrong in several ways: First mistake, in my regional settings the monetary signal is not $, it should be R$. Second, the thousands and the decimal are displayed as commas, ignoring once again the regional settings which clearly states that they should be points. Third, I want to display a plain number, without the monetary sign in front (or after the value, again according to the regional settings).

I can't believe that for such a trivial task - displaying a value according to the current regional settings of the computer where the report is being generated - I will have to write a dedicated function, so I must be missing something here! Please tell me how to achieve such a simple thing with version 4.6.99, as it is not documented in the User Manual I retrieved from your web site.

Thank you very much.

Comments

• edited 3:59PM
    I Have the same problem. My Thousand Delimiter is not working like it should. No matter what I put in the thousand I'll always get ',' for a thousand delimiter.
    On the other side the decimal Delimiter is working just fine in the cases I've tried. I hope we'll get an answer on the problem.
    Honestly, I already gave up my hopes on this application. Support is clearly non-existent, at least for evaluations. The so-called FAQ has 10 questions, and if you are unfortunate enough to need a different answer, you are out of luck.

When a report tool is unable to generate reports obeying the regional settings of the computer, and there is NO answer at all in the support forum (which can only be a joke) for ten days about the issue, it becomes clear that there is no solution for it, or that there is no interest in helping to solve the problem, or that there is simply nobody reading this forum.

Sorry folks, I won't purchase this product first to see if maybe I get decent support and a correctly working product afterwards. I'll spend my time and money somewhere else, where evaluating customers are taken seriously. There is no excuse for this.
  • gordkgordk St.Catherines On. Canada.
    edited 3:59PM
    I understand your frustration, i usually don't answer here as i personally do not use the studio product.

Did either of you bother to take out an official support ticket by going to the product page and clicking on support rather than relying on peer forums/newsgroups for answers?

Things to consider, is the underlying data value type a true float, is it possibly a formated string, or a binary coded decimal with display formatting applied.

gordk
    gordk wrote: »
    Did either of you bother to take out an official support ticket by going to the product page and clicking on support rather than relying on peer forums/newsgroups for answers?

Evaluation users can't create support tickets. With nothing else but this forum to get help from, somebody might want to rethink their practices. Or give decent help to evaluations and potential new customers through the web site, or at least come to the forums every other day and give support there.
    sorry forgot about that.
    try sending an email to
    Michael Philippenko
    info@fast-report.com
    explain your problem without a rant, it may help, i realize it is very frustrating, but you may attract more flies with honey than with acid.
    I know they have been very busy with trying to get the dot net version released along with the port
    of the vcl version to d2009 so it may have been overlooked.
    In the mean time did any of the things i mentioned apply?
    I'll see what i can do from this end.

Well its OK. I found a way to do it. You need to set your Thousand Delimiter in the source before printing. There is an option of setting it in runtime
    but it doesn't work yet, probably.

just to let you know that it is being looked at, and should be resolved in a future release.
    sorry for the inconvenience, unfotunately the release of codegears radstudio 2009 set many things off track.
    First of all I want to give ours apology for answer delay.

Unfortunately, I can't reproduce it on my machine, when i change regional settings in control panel, all changes reflecting on the report.

Thousand delimiter in memo format settings works only for Excel export, for drawing and other exports FR use Users regional settings.

Do you get the same result when you use simple expression inside memo instead data field, for example [123456789.01] ?

Also even if you not ours user, you can write mail directly to support@fast-report.com.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.